want to use music as an alarm + not spend another $ on songs that cant be ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lucface, Feb 15, 2008.

1. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

It is so frustrating i cant use a song as an alarm. Why. It would be to easy.
    so i go buy DRM of itunes to make a ringtone to use and it doesnt work for that song. and i do it again, buy another, and another, and one more. im not going to keep buying songs because Steve told me i can make ringtones, When it isnt actually true.
    0 and 4...
    gime a break here.

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

So don't buy ringtones then? It's all a scam to make you pay twice for the same song IMO.

There are plenty of ways to make your own. Here's how I made mine: Take your song (eg MP3) and use iTunes to select the part you want with the start/stop times in Get Info. Limit it to 30 sec or whatever. Use "convert selection to AAC". Right click on the new AAC file, go to "Show in finder". Rename the file extension to .m4r, and delete the AAC listing in iTunes (don't move to trash). Now double-click on the renamed file, it adds it as a ringtone, and syncs to your phone.

Sounds like a complicated procedure, but actually only takes about 1 minute to do, less than the time it took to type all this.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

dude, it tells u before you buy it if it can be made into a ringtone??

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

that's exactly what I was thinking... Theres a while cloumn for the ringtone icon. Look before you buy. (or buy from amzon drm free, and make your own ringtone.)

5. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

ohhhhhhhh, no sh..
    ok, my bad, sorry steve

Thank you for your detailed response. one thing though, Im having trouble finding that option..

Holy frikn fraggle rock, i thought you ment because it will use up its 5 machine limit and you will have to buy another. not because they actually charge you for a SNIPPET OF YOUR OWN SONG.
    I take it back Steve.

well im 6 bucks in now for a 30 second piece of my 5th choice. ohh well. i wish i could at least return the ones that dont work.

can you at least rearrange your ringtone later if you want?

6. Bigsam411 macrumors member

If you have the most recent version of Garageband you can turn any song into a ringtone and put it on your iPhone to use as an alarm.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

nope, once its set its set ...

8. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

What a Crock. well thank geez for a work around. more and more i catch these slimy little things Apple does. i loose a lil respect every time. i love to love Apple, i dont want to hate to love Apple.

9. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

lucface

Well, after learning some more and already having audio highjack i used a method said by another member because i couldnt Find a convert to AAC option. and i couldnt do the Garageband method because i dont have it.

here is the directions:
    My problem is; i do it all and rename it to the m4r extension, it WILL list in my itunes ringtones folder and it WILL sync to my iphone...but its vary strange,...
    it doesnt sync the actual ringtone. instead it duplicates my ONE apple authorized ringtone i already have on my phone as many times as there are ringtones im trying to sync. so if i have 4 ring tones to sync it will duplicate my autorized ring 4 times and i play all its clones and they are the same.

So i have em in my itunes ringtones but cant get them on my phone actually.

10. BillG07 macrumors member

Not to resurrect a dead thread but this is brilliant, thanks very much for sharing. What a simple way to get around Apple's limitations. This is excellent.

11. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Well for the 4 songs you bought that you cannot make ringtones out of, just use this program and you can do it for free.

http://www.audiko.net

12. dave.h.3g macrumors member

theres also myxer.com
    just sign up for an account, load an mp3, cut a section out, download, and drag to itunes ringtone folder

13. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

you can also do it in windows movie maker if op doesn't have a mac. There's millions of tuturials on this on YouTube.

14. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

You don't have the convert to AAC option because in your iTunes preferences your encoding is set up as something else. If you change your "Import settings" in your preferences, to AAC you should then have that option when you right click a song.

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Scam!

The whole iTunes music store is a scam if you ask me. You can buy the actual CD for at or nearly the same price as you can get it from iTunes and you get so much more! You get full audio fidelity, a professionally produced and printed CD, and the full booklet. I would never be stupid enough to pay equal price for DRM enforced, lossy audio formats with no physical product to show for it.

Case in point: I just picked a top album in iTunes:

Price in iTunes

Price at Amazon

16. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

this is a great website where i get all my ringtones from. Even allows you to convert youtube audio into rintones. Downloads them straight to itunes as well.

17. kleo macrumors regular

import into garage band then export as ringtone...

18. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Not sure what school you went in regards to math...
    Amazon = $9.99 +$2.98 S/H = $12.97
    iTunes = $9.99 + $0.00 S/H = $9.99

The savings of $2.98 is 3 ring tones from the :apple: iTunes store *

With Amazon you are waiting on standard shipping (3~ days) Then you have to rip the CD to your computer, which you may chose the same lossy audio formats as :apple: just to get it on your iDevice :p

With Apple you have the album 'instantly'. You can chose to burn it to a CD if you want.

In todays instant gratification world Amazon = teh lose.

* why people pay $0.99 for a ring tone is beyond me :eek: :( :confused:

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Amazon has free shipping for orders over $25. You can also run to the store and buy it immediately if you like - hell then you can even listen to it in your car on the way back. Ripping doesn't take very long and you have complete control of which format (lossy OR lossless) and bit rate or you encode your files, unlike iTunes. The files are DRM free so iTunes doesn't have a G.I. Joe Kung Fu grip on them either.

Sure, you can burn your iTunes albums to CD - a blank, generic CD you'll label with a black sharpie. Professionally produced CD's are 10x the quality in both printing and audio fidelity.

20. winchaman macrumors newbie

wow this thread really helped me out. Thanks everyone!

There are plenty of ways to make your own. Here's how I made mine: Take your song (eg MP3) and use iTunes to select the part you want with the start/stop times in Get Info. Limit it to 30 sec or whatever. Use "convert selection to AAC". Right click on the new AAC file, go to "Show in finder". Rename the file extension to .m4r, and delete the AAC listing in iTunes (don't move to trash). Now double-click on the renamed file, it adds it as a ringtone, and syncs to your phone.

Sounds like a complicated procedure, but actually only takes about 1 minute to do, less than the time it took to type all this

the person that posted this has the easiest way to do it.

21. johnwheny macrumors newbie

Rubbish

Sorry but this whole thread just infuriates me. Good music alarm functionality is obviously something that needs to be deeply embedded within the iPhone OS. From what I see of the apps currently available, they are either functionally useless or suck the battery dry overnight. A option to play a library song seems like the most obvious thing for Apple to build as part of the basic alarm functionality.

I didn't buy Apple only to have to hack around with sound files. If I wanted to do that, I'd go for Android - which I probably will do with my next phone.

And buying ringtones? Do I look like a 13 year old who wants to buy a Ikon or Crazy Frog ringtone? Who do I have to kill to be able to have Beethoven's 5th (which I OWN) wake me up in the morning?

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Garage band does the ringtone making for you.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Post #2 tells you how to do this. You call it hacking, I guess, but once you've done it a few times, it's really second nature.