want to you my laptop as a Acess point to conect to the ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deorg, Jul 13, 2009.

1. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Hi I want to create and acess point using my laptop (its a windows XP laptop) I recive my internet thru HSDPA, In my mac there is not a problem but In my pc its seems that because its reciving the data from HSDPA 3G, it wont let me conect.

I have come to the point that I could se the SSD (the name of my acess point) but it wont send any internet data.

help please:(

2. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

pfft windows xp.

I couldnt use that to connect to a socks5 proxy with my iPod touch back when I didn't have a network adapter. I had to use FireFox's internal proxy settings instead.

all of this means that windows xp networking settings are not nearly as advanced as other operating systems. I doubt you can all the same things on xp that you can do on a mac (networking)

btw i was wondering, what does macrumors 6502 mean. do you help out with a forum section somehow???

just wondering...

3. deorg thread starter macrumors 6502

deorg

Oh crap !
    Well the 6502 is kind of a level in this forum i.e if you start out you are level 10 if you keep posting you are level 9 and so on...
    EXACTLY its a kind of procesor used for the APPLE IIe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6502
    If I keep posting I will upgrade to a better procesor... i.e "level"

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

i recently did something similar while i was on vacation. the laptop was connected via ethernet but i don't think that should matter. what i ended up having to do was to bridge the two network connections on the laptop (ethernet connected to the internet and the wireless that would send to my iPod). it worked well.
    but, make sure you delete the bridge once you are done because the laptop would bluescreen once i got home. i had to do a sys restore in order to delete the bridge, then everything was fine. also, this was on vista, but i'm pretty sure the same principles apply to XP.

5. deorg thread starter macrumors 6502

deorg

Ive seen that if you receive your internet connection via Ethernet its easier to do the bridge, but im using HSPDA... :S

6. mzd macrumors 6502a

possibly. i've never used HSPDA, but if it shows up in your network connections, i would think you could bridge it. i had to do some research on google and windows' help files to get it to work for me.