Want up upgrade to jailbroken iOS 4.0 from 3.1.2.. confused how to get the IPSW

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Theraker007, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

So I was one of the lucky ones that never upgraded to 3.1.3.. im still on 3.1.2 software and its jailbroken, but never unlocked.

I want to upgrade to 4.0 jailbroken version with the new pwnage tool, and it seems like im in the category that can do so since im on 3.1.2 still

I downloaded the pwnage tool and it requested I obtain the actual file, this is where I'm stuck.. how do I get the 4.0 software.. I dont trust any of these internet web searches.. do I download it from itunes and unplug my phone? What do I do, Im afraid to take a guess and brick my phone somewhere in the process losing my stuff altogether.

thanks, I guess this is a stupid question but in summary, how do I get the iOS4 software without accidentally upgrading to an unjailbroken version screwing everything up?

2. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

3. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

beautiful.. thank you sir.

and one last question.. someone mentioned that the 4th and 5th digits in the serial number were supposed to be below 40 and mine are 41.. does this mean its not going to work? My model # begins with MB not MC.

4. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

also, will all of my purchased jailbroken apps remain through the upgrade or do I need to reacquire them?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you have a tethered jailbreak or untethered?
    if you need to run blackrain in order to reboot your phone each time you cant use that custom pwnage ipsw.
    About the JB bought apps you can download them again for free but most of them havent yet been updated to work with 4.0 yet.
    So you might have to wait for the devs.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They will remain, but most will not have been updated to work with 4.0. Be prepared to experiment.

7. iVoid macrumors 65816

I'm in a similar situation and just want confirmation.

I have an iPhone 3G on 3.1.2 (Modem 5.11.07) that's never been jailbroken or unlocked.

If I want to go to iOS 4 and Jailbreak/Unlock I just need the IPSW file and PwnageTool or redsn0w to jailbreak and then install ultrasn0w from Cydia?

I was always paranoid about going beyond 3.1.2, but it doesn't even look like that's an issue now.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With a 3G you're fine.
    Just update to official 4.0 and use redsnow.

9. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Applejuiced, if i went from a true 3.1.2 running 4.26.08 and did the 4.0 jailbreak using pwnage 4.0 will I loose all possibility of an unlock? I do not recall saving my shsh with cydia or elsewhere.

10. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

*** i went into DFU mode to double check and my iboot was [iBoot-359.3] which looks like its good to go.. so then i clicked option + restore and selected the file pwnage tool made for me and got an error 1600 or something.. am I screwed now?

11. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

tried to remake the .ipsw and same thing happened again, i got myself out of DFU and tried it all over from the start and it gave me that same 1600 error.. any ideas?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you wont lose the unlock at all.
    Pwnage will create a custom IPSW preserving your baseband.
    If you're JB now with an untethered 3.1.2 JB on a 3GS you can update to custom 4.0 IPSW created with pwnage.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you have to go to restore mode, not DFU.
    Try that instead.

14. iVoid macrumors 65816

Great, so there's no baseband/modem version issues on the 3G when upgrading to official 4.0? (been a bit of time since I paid attention to the jailbreak/unlock requirements (since the 3.1.2 days, obviously).

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you wont have any issues.
    The latest baseband is unlocked so you're ok.

16. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

its updating this time, i think you were right.. hopefully nothing else screws up.. at the point of no return now *crosses fingers*

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be cool now.
    Good luck bro.

18. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

19. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

20. tbm248 macrumors member

hey Applejuiced, I'm kind of in a similar situation as the op, but am still unsure on how to jailbreak/unlock.

I have a jailbroken 3G with 3.1.2 software. It is not currently unlocked. I used blackra1n to jailbreak. I read somewhere I need to download the ispw since I didn't use spirit to jailbreak my phone, but I read in this thread your advice was to upgrade to the 4.0 directly from itunes, and then use redsnow to jailbreak, and finally ultrasnow to unlock?

Does that mean I don't have to download the ispw file? Original poster mentioned the ispw file, so I'm not sure.

I'm a bit confused (I actually made a thread about it a little ways down in this forum).

21. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

You will still have to download the ipsw file I believe. You will need it to make your custom ipsw during the jailbreak.