Want Verizon 5S, have ATT upgrade eligible. How to do it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kapalua12, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Have ATT 4S and want 5S Verizon gold 64. ATT says I'm upgrade eligible.

Have an Android phone (Galaxy S3) and iPad on Verizon Plan and want to add second phone to Verizon plan (new Verizon 5S would be the additional phone.)

Since the upgrade is with ATT, Apple said just order online for Verizon phone and bring it to Apple Store where they can transfer my ATT phone # from my 4S to the new Verizon phone when it arrives.

Will that work?

2. KaijuRed macrumors regular

yes. they port your number to Verizon. i did it last thursday and it took less than 30 mins to get everything up and running on my 5S. I also switched from ATT to Verizon.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't quite follow what you're saying. do you want to ditch and cancel on AT&T? of so, qualifying for an upgrade doesn't necessarily mean you're out of contract. you may need to pay an early termination fee.

4. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm reluctantly ditching my unlimited data ATT plan to be able to access Verizon's much larger LTE network in my state with the 5S.

Am I making a mistake? Plus adding a second line to my Verizon Plan only is $40 more a month.

I'll pay 2 months early termination fee which will be quickly recouped due to the lower monthly Verizon second phone monthly fee which is $25 less per month.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

Depends

In NYC both are the same with vzw being a little better. Almost every place I've been to AT&T and vzw were about the same

6. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, I'm purchasing from Apple Online and switching my ATT number to the new Verizon 5S.

Should I indicate during the online purchase to transfer my ATT number during the online purchase or just get a new Verizon number and then bring the new phone to the Apple Store and have them make the number change?

I don't think the online phone number change is very clear when someone is transferring from ATT to Verizon with a new online purchase.

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Dont give up your unlimited data plan. Unless you want to regret it later.

8. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If it was a verizon unlimited plan I would agree, but AT&T's unlimited plan is not that useful when it get throttled after 5GB and there is no tethering addons.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Att doesnt throttle LTE.

10. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, two questions:

1. If my ATT unlimited plan expires in 2 months, and online says I'm eligible for upgrade, is there an ETF if I purchase a new ATT phone now 2 months early and stick with ATT?

2. Will Apple ship to an address (my office) I specify when ordering that is different than the address the credit card is registered to (my home)?

----------

Verizon has a much better coverage area where I primarily use the phone. When I look at the LTE coverage maps of ATT and Verizon, Verizon is FAR better LTE coverage.

11. aneftp macrumors 601

Yeah. Att has become more lax on the throttling. My wife didn't even get any text warning messages about going over 5gb data the past 4 months. She's hit 6-8gb without any text warning and no obvious slow down in speeds.

I happened to check her LTE speed when she was at 6gb last week and her LTE speed in orlando was still over 20mpbs.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Verizon does have the best lte coverage by far, but att has been stepping up there lte coverage. My city isn't listed on the lte map but weve had it for a while.

13. pudcraft macrumors regular

So I am with AT&T. I bought the verizon 64gb 5s. I plugged my SIM in and done. In your case, get the verizon phone and have them port your number over.

I would be very interested in your AT&T unlimited data if you are leaving. Seriously. Please PM me.

14. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Check the termination fees and contract issues. Hardware-wise, yes, it will work, so long as you get a phone from Apple Store. I'd be wary of any wireless carrier store etc., so get it from Apple. Verizon is the iPhone 5s phone to get for maximum flexibility, it has both radios (CDMA and GSM) and will work with nearly all the big carriers once you swap SIMs, including many many overseas GSM carriers. Sprint may be the exception.

Anyway, that's what we did. We're all on different carriers -- so we bought a ton of off-contract Verizon 5s 16 gig. Swap in the nanoSIM, do an iTunes wipe and full restore to get 7.0.2 on a clean install, working perfectly on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and some of the smaller tels.