Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Too bad I cannot get the black SS with a black Milanese loop or an inexpensive band so I can maybe get an aftermarket band.

I don't want to be stuck trying to get rid of a $450 black link bracelet that nobody wants because it is only good for the black SS and every black SS comes with one already.

Got the SG instead. Apple could have done better to get more of my money.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
If this watch will be worn daily I would stay away from the sport. The gorilla glass style crystal will be scratched in short order. I wouldn't buy a watch unless it has a sapphire crystal, nothing else will hold up well. Watches take too much abuse.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
If this watch will be worn daily I would stay away from the sport. The gorilla glass style crystal will be scratched in short order. I wouldn't buy a watch unless it has a sapphire crystal, nothing else will hold up well. Watches take too much abuse.

i've been wearing watches daily before sapphire crystal was the "it" tech trend and have never received a scratch. Whore a fitbit force for over a year daily, bumped and knocked that screen all the time zero scratches. The iox glass on the Sport will hold up to daily usage without scratch.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I wanted a Space Black as well, but didn't want the link bracelet. Had they had one available with a black Milanese loop, I would have been all over it.

If there is no Black Milanese loop available by next gen, I'll probably get a SS w/ Milanese Loop and have it in addition to my 1st gen Space Grey Sport.

I'm hoping Apple doesn't screw us all and keeps the band attachment the same for future iterations so all the bands I'm going to accumulate won't be useless.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Apple could have done better to get more of my money.
Well, they got more of MY money ;) I really wanted the space black. But I ended up getting a 42 mm SS and 38 mm sport for my wife for less than one space black. The way Apple tied the watches to the bands really limited options .

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia

just making the point that a fitness watch will get bumped and knocked more that an high-end watch (SS) that won't be worn during sweaty / dirty activities. You don't see a guy biking or weight lighting with a rolex on his arm. this whole SS vs IOX is silly. iox will be 100% fine and scratch resistant

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
just making the point that a fitness watch will get bumped and knocked more that an high-end watch (SS) that won't be worn during sweaty / dirty activities. You don't see a guy biking or weight lighting with a rolex on his arm. this whole SS vs IOX is silly. iox will be 100% fine and scratch resistant
Case closed.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I wouldn't say case closed. First off nobody has tested the new IONX glass. Second off, the watch leaves the glass element extremely exposed. This is not an ordinary watch. Most watches leave the glass flush against the frame.

I also looked up Moto 360 user experiences and found many people with severe scratches from minor impacts with rough surfaces. The 360 uses a similar gorilla glass to the sport. I'm not saying that everyone is going to have scratched sport displays, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of sapphire on the apple watch quite yet...

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008

As opposed to, say, a phone that lives in the same pocket as keys, that is constantly removed/returned? Those aren't known to be "scratched in short order". Sure, Gorilla Glass is a little less scratch resistant than sapphire, but they are still very scratch resistant, and sapphire is also more brittle and likely to shatter than Gorilla Glass.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Switching from SS/Milanese to silver aluminum

So you want a dented watch?

----------

As opposed to, say, a phone that lives in the same pocket as keys, that is constantly removed/returned? Those aren't known to be "scratched in short order". Sure, Gorilla Glass is a little less scratch resistant than sapphire, but they are still very scratch resistant, and sapphire is also more brittle and likely to shatter than Gorilla Glass.

A little less? ? My phone has little scratches after a few days in my back pocket with every phone I get. Sapphire literally needs a diamond to scratch it

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I use my iPhone 6+ with zero protection from day 1 (when it officially released), I use it everyday, just carry it in my pocket, no scratch on the screen so far. The iox glass was improved a lot in last year. I guess the Apple watch sport should be strong enough for normal daily use.

Anyway, I've already ordered the Black SS 42mm. And will go to the store to have a look later on, if it looks bad in real, I will cancel it, and may be re-order the Black Sport 42mm.

P.S. The tech change everyday. When I use my iPhone 4, that will make my iPhone full of scratch. But since iPhone 6, no more scratch.

Last edited:

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
What? :confused:

As long as you don't swing your arms like a maniac everywhere, the aluminium isn't just going to magically dent by itself.

My MacBook has a big dent "somehow" idk even how, can't imagine a watch that's on all the time

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My MacBook has a big dent "somehow" idk even how, can't imagine a watch that's on all the time

The aluminum on the watch is made differently than any aluminum Apple has used for a product before. Jony and the team have made sure to mention that several times since the introduction of the watches. Supposedly, the aluminum on the sport watch is stronger and more resistant to dents and scratches than the aluminum used on the iPhone or MacBook.

Now, I know that it still won't quite be stainless steel, but it does make sense that they'd made a stronger aluminum for a watch, and I have no reason to believe they're lying. I'm sure it will be strong enough for daily wear and tear or they'd be up **** creek quickly.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Too bad I cannot get the black SS with a black Milanese loop or an inexpensive band so I can maybe get an aftermarket band.

I don't want to be stuck trying to get rid of a $450 black link bracelet that nobody wants because it is only good for the black SS and every black SS comes with one already.

Got the SG instead. Apple could have done better to get more of my money.

You could sell the space black link bracelet, no problem. I imagine it would look great with the space grey Sport Watch. And we know this was/is the best selling model – with very few matching band options beyond the included black sport band.

slester

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
So you want a dented watch?

----------

A little less? ? My phone has little scratches after a few days in my back pocket with every phone I get. Sapphire literally needs a diamond to scratch it

It is my understanding that sapphire can also scratch sapphire. In other words - sapphire can scratch itself. Synthetic Moissanite and diamond (of course) are also harder materials and can scratch sapphire too.

ascNYC

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Sapphire can scratch or chip

As a long time higher-end watch wearer (AP, Rolex, Omega, Panerai, etc.) I can say that I have scratched and more often chipped sapphire crystals on my watches. It's not easy and indeed the sapphire is extremely scratch "resistant" however it's by no means scratch proof. That said when I have chipped or scratched crystals in the past I typically get them replaced during regular 5 yr services. Does anyone know if the crystals will be replaceable or is it part of the screen assembly? Would be interesting to see if you could replace the gorilla glass crystal with a sapphire crystal at some point in the future. Again, I'm not worrying too much as I suspect I'll be updating/replacing my Apple Watch every 18 - 24 months where as many of my mechanical watches I've had for over 20 yrs and they run and look as good as they did the day I bought them (especially after a factory service).

-a

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Im willing to bet someone will make a great scratch cover for it, like the really good ones out for the 6 and 6 plus, so if they do Im sure would be about $25 or so for that, still saves me at least $175 more :)

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
I use my iPhone 6+ with zero protection from day 1 (when it officially released), I use it everyday, just carry it in my pocket, no scratch on the screen so far. The iox glass was improved a lot in last year. I guess the Apple watch sport should be strong enough for normal daily use.

Anyway, I've already ordered the Black SS 42mm. And will go to the store to have a look later on, if it looks bad in real, I will cancel it, and may be re-order the Black Sport 42mm.

P.S. The tech change everyday. When I use my iPhone 4, that will make my iPhone full of scratch. But since iPhone 6, no more scratch.

Same here re protection and Black SS. Although, the ion x glass scratches like crazy. It's the curved screen. Mine looks like it's been sanded. I don't particularly care though, I have AppleCare+ and att next, so a few more months and it's a shiny new 6s+/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.