Wanted the $1000 black SS but went for the $350 Sport instead

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pflau, Apr 12, 2015.

1. pflau macrumors 6502

Too bad I cannot get the black SS with a black Milanese loop or an inexpensive band so I can maybe get an aftermarket band.

I don't want to be stuck trying to get rid of a $450 black link bracelet that nobody wants because it is only good for the black SS and every black SS comes with one already.

Got the SG instead. Apple could have done better to get more of my money.

2. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Switching from SS/Milanese to silver aluminum

3. jjlannoo Suspended

If this watch will be worn daily I would stay away from the sport. The gorilla glass style crystal will be scratched in short order. I wouldn't buy a watch unless it has a sapphire crystal, nothing else will hold up well. Watches take too much abuse.

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

i've been wearing watches daily before sapphire crystal was the "it" tech trend and have never received a scratch. Whore a fitbit force for over a year daily, bumped and knocked that screen all the time zero scratches. The iox glass on the Sport will hold up to daily usage without scratch.

5. Wildgift macrumors 6502

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Oh boy.

7. playaproved macrumors 6502

I wanted a Space Black as well, but didn't want the link bracelet. Had they had one available with a black Milanese loop, I would have been all over it.

If there is no Black Milanese loop available by next gen, I'll probably get a SS w/ Milanese Loop and have it in addition to my 1st gen Space Grey Sport.

I'm hoping Apple doesn't screw us all and keeps the band attachment the same for future iterations so all the bands I'm going to accumulate won't be useless.

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Well, they got more of MY money ;) I really wanted the space black. But I ended up getting a 42 mm SS and 38 mm sport for my wife for less than one space black. The way Apple tied the watches to the bands really limited options .

9. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

just making the point that a fitness watch will get bumped and knocked more that an high-end watch (SS) that won't be worn during sweaty / dirty activities. You don't see a guy biking or weight lighting with a rolex on his arm. this whole SS vs IOX is silly. iox will be 100% fine and scratch resistant

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Case closed.

11. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors regular

I wouldn't say case closed. First off nobody has tested the new IONX glass. Second off, the watch leaves the glass element extremely exposed. This is not an ordinary watch. Most watches leave the glass flush against the frame.

I also looked up Moto 360 user experiences and found many people with severe scratches from minor impacts with rough surfaces. The 360 uses a similar gorilla glass to the sport. I'm not saying that everyone is going to have scratched sport displays, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of sapphire on the apple watch quite yet...

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

As opposed to, say, a phone that lives in the same pocket as keys, that is constantly removed/returned? Those aren't known to be "scratched in short order". Sure, Gorilla Glass is a little less scratch resistant than sapphire, but they are still very scratch resistant, and sapphire is also more brittle and likely to shatter than Gorilla Glass.

13. Gooberton macrumors 65816

So you want a dented watch?

----------

A little less? ? My phone has little scratches after a few days in my back pocket with every phone I get. Sapphire literally needs a diamond to scratch it

14. h9826790, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I use my iPhone 6+ with zero protection from day 1 (when it officially released), I use it everyday, just carry it in my pocket, no scratch on the screen so far. The iox glass was improved a lot in last year. I guess the Apple watch sport should be strong enough for normal daily use.

Anyway, I've already ordered the Black SS 42mm. And will go to the store to have a look later on, if it looks bad in real, I will cancel it, and may be re-order the Black Sport 42mm.

P.S. The tech change everyday. When I use my iPhone 4, that will make my iPhone full of scratch. But since iPhone 6, no more scratch.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

What? :confused:

As long as you don't swing your arms like a maniac everywhere, the aluminium isn't just going to magically dent by itself.

16. Gooberton macrumors 65816

My MacBook has a big dent "somehow" idk even how, can't imagine a watch that's on all the time

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The aluminum on the watch is made differently than any aluminum Apple has used for a product before. Jony and the team have made sure to mention that several times since the introduction of the watches. Supposedly, the aluminum on the sport watch is stronger and more resistant to dents and scratches than the aluminum used on the iPhone or MacBook.

Now, I know that it still won't quite be stainless steel, but it does make sense that they'd made a stronger aluminum for a watch, and I have no reason to believe they're lying. I'm sure it will be strong enough for daily wear and tear or they'd be up **** creek quickly.

18. the future macrumors 65816

You could sell the space black link bracelet, no problem. I imagine it would look great with the space grey Sport Watch. And we know this was/is the best selling model – with very few matching band options beyond the included black sport band.

19. slester macrumors member

It is my understanding that sapphire can also scratch sapphire. In other words - sapphire can scratch itself. Synthetic Moissanite and diamond (of course) are also harder materials and can scratch sapphire too.

20. ascNYC macrumors member

Sapphire can scratch or chip

As a long time higher-end watch wearer (AP, Rolex, Omega, Panerai, etc.) I can say that I have scratched and more often chipped sapphire crystals on my watches. It's not easy and indeed the sapphire is extremely scratch "resistant" however it's by no means scratch proof. That said when I have chipped or scratched crystals in the past I typically get them replaced during regular 5 yr services. Does anyone know if the crystals will be replaceable or is it part of the screen assembly? Would be interesting to see if you could replace the gorilla glass crystal with a sapphire crystal at some point in the future. Again, I'm not worrying too much as I suspect I'll be updating/replacing my Apple Watch every 18 - 24 months where as many of my mechanical watches I've had for over 20 yrs and they run and look as good as they did the day I bought them (especially after a factory service).

-a

21. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Im willing to bet someone will make a great scratch cover for it, like the really good ones out for the 6 and 6 plus, so if they do Im sure would be about $25 or so for that, still saves me at least $175 more :)

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple should sell the watches and cases separately.

23. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Same here re protection and Black SS. Although, the ion x glass scratches like crazy. It's the curved screen. Mine looks like it's been sanded. I don't particularly care though, I have AppleCare+ and att next, so a few more months and it's a shiny new 6s+/7.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I was thinking about doing that too, but I thought "**** it, I'm going all out".