Wanted to exchange my 32 gig for a 64 but now it has scratches. Can I still do it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evasquez7, Oct 9, 2012.

1. evasquez7 macrumors member

I wanted to exchange my 32 gig for a 64 gig iPhone 5 but scratched the back of it pretty bad earlier. Just one scratch from the top of the apple logo to about the middle of the phone. Will apple still let me exchange?

2. krnboy503 macrumors regular

just tell them the scratch was already on the phone the day you purchased it. (if they even notice and ask)

make sure you return or exchange before the receipt expiration date.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You can do that and be unethical/immoral or you could be an honest grown-up about it and just deal with the fact that b/c you damaged your phone it's now ineligible to be swapped.

It's your call.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

pretty sure if it well known that some phones have come with scratches, so they probably will not even ask.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a likely possibility as well.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And, you take one more phone out of the delivery cycle. With millions waiting for their new phone, way too many are asking for a DIFFERENT phone then what they ordered, color or size, or even in some cases, carrier.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Actually, not so much.

While that sounds logical, most stores are shipped 2 types of stock: sell stock & replacement stock; replacements phones are (obviously) taken from the latter are are never intended to be sold outright.

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I keep seeing people say this. The replacement stock is for the GENIUS BAR. It is only for replacing phones with warranty related issues. Not to change your mind about color or size.

9. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Incorrect. They have replacement stock in brand new boxes. They have white box genius stock. They have new stock.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I understand your point, but based on the OP (the condition of the phone being returned), which stock do you think it would be taken from? :rolleyes:

----------

Hmm. I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying. :)

11. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Honestly it would be a pretty dirty move. You messed up your phone and want to return it. I mean if you riped a shirt you couldn't take it back to the store and get a refund. At the end of the day it is up to the Apple Employee to call you out for your BS but if they don't catch it consider yourself lucky. Granted they will probably be on the look out for damage since returning a phone for a memory bump seems kind of sketchy, seeing as you should know how much you need to begin with.

12. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Actually, a week ago I took my black i5 in with 2 issues. #1. WiFi issues. #2. Tiny scuff/chip on side metal.

Genius specifically said there is nothing he could do about cosmetic issues. For that, I would HAVE TO wait until the store got "retail stock." But he did replace is based upon the WiFi issue and I got a perfect one anyway.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hmmm...it's really interesting to me that he made that differentiation. Thanks for sharing.

14. evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

Well i'm getting a new phone no matter what. I just remembered I have a Amex 90 protection plan which will help me get one.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AMEX replaces for cosmetic issues?
    You want an unscratched phone; I think storage is secondary to your issue.

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

50% of new phones have them, so......