Wanting a new iMac. Which graphics card and drive…

Discussion in 'iMac' started by m1n, Sep 13, 2014.

1. m1n, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

m1n macrumors newbie

My current computer:

[​IMG]

I would like to buy a new 21.5” iMac (really like that size best), but after doing some searches and reading around, I still can’t decide which specs I want. I use my computer mostly for the basics, but I also play games, watch TV shows/movies, and use Photoshop/Pixelmator.

The games I play typically aren’t very graphics intensive and usually run fine on medium settings. However I recently bought The Cave, which is apparently too beastly for my computer, because even on the lowest settings it’s too slow and choppy to play. I’m not very knowledgeable on graphics cards so I just don’t know whether the Iris Pro will be sufficient for a game like that, or if I need the GeForce 750m. I also read that the Iris Pro is better for the other things I use my computer for… so yeah, I can’t figure out which would be best.

I’m also wondering if it will be worth the cost to upgrade to 256GB flash storage over the 1TB hard drive? Less space isn’t a big issue. I just want my computer to run nicely enough without being too costly. I hope to use it for the next 5 or so years like I have my current one.

Edit: OH YES and I forgot to mention I'm planning to install Parallels Desktop + Windows to play some games that aren't compatible with OS X, if that makes any difference.

2. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Given everything said I would go for the 21.5 inch iMac with the following specs.

• You probably don't need to upgrade the processor.
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5 - Probably worthwhile for gaming and running Windows.
    • 1TB Fusion Drive - If this is going to be the main computer you use.
    • Optional: if you're going to use Windows and Mac side-by-side you're probably see some benefit in going to 16GB RAM.

3. m1n thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to skip out on the 16GB RAM as it's rather out of my price range and I probably won't be using Windows much - just here and there running light games.

Also, what is the benefit to getting the Fusion Drive over flash storage? Is it just the extra space?

4. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

You should be fine if that's all you going to do. If you're restricted on how much you can spend consider taking a look at the Apple Refurbished Online Store.

The speed of SSD with the capacity of a large hard drive. 256GB is really not that much space for most people specially once the OS's (Mac and Windows) is on there and you get your apps installed.

5. m1n thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to thank you for your help! I watched the refurbished store for a few days and bought a computer with the specs you recommended (with 8gb ram instead of 16gb). I received it today and the ram and processor had been upgraded - what a nice surprise! :) Now I will recommend the refurbished store to everyone, haha.

6. Kyle-K, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

You're more than welcome I hope you enjoy your new iMac.

Nice, Apparently this is a common thing that happens.

So your final specs were 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ,1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5 that's definitely a nice machine. Specially when you get those extra upgrades for free.

It's definitely a great option, Recommended to a lot of people including most of my clients. But for some reason I always buy new as I normally get the top-of-the-line 27 inch. Which some people nickname the big mac.

--
    Also, Give your old machine a little love and it should be good still for someone for a few years to come still.

Fresh Install.
    Optional: Memory Upgrade
    Optional: Hard Drive or SSD.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I highly recommend Fusion drive option or plain old SSD regardless of the rest of the system. But from what it sounds like, any graphics processor in the current iMac lineup will be more than enough. I ran The Cave on a 2 generation behind Intel integrated graphics card on medium just fine. Anything NVIDIA will more than suffice.