Wanting to buy iPhone 4 & 4S shattered screens. Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhixd.com, Nov 1, 2012.

1. iPhixd.com macrumors newbie

I have owned my own repair shop now for 2 years and recently started to save all of the parts I replaced for an art project. I have quite a bit of parts saved up and I just got a called from someone in Arizona wanting to buy all of my iPhone 4 & 4S screens that I have that are shattered. They are willing to pay $2 a piece but with the contingency that the LCDs are in working condition.

Does anyone know exactly why they are doing this, and if so should I sell them or keep them?

They did mention that once they have enough saved up they will be sending them off to a company in brazil that has a process of refurbishing them.

I wouldn't want to sell them now and then later find out that for just a few bucks I could get them refurbish into good condition & working parts that I could then use to repair iPhones and make a bigger profit margin.

Thank you for any information!

2. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I would keep them for your art, as far as I know, seperating the glass from the LCD's are next to impossible.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I read an article about Corning Gorilla Glass and its history, and there was a mention in it that the company routinely collects shattered phone screens to study how they broke and what can be done to make the glass even stronger in future versions. Maybe it was Corning, or one of their buyers?

Ah, here's the article:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/all/

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sell them.
    You wont be able to get them fixed/refurbished for a few bucks.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921