wanting to install a 1tb usb 3.0 external hard drive into my mac book pro possibly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maschil, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Just bought a 2008 15 inch macbook pro 2.4Ghz one.. I want to install a 1tb hard drive in it. Basically i am taking a 1tb wd elements usb 3.0 external drive drive and trying to put it into my macbook pro? is this possible???
    Thanks

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Not possible to get the 3.0 speeds since these are 2.0 motherboards.

3. simsaladimbamba

Why buy an HDD in an enclosure?
    Anyway, if it is a Unibody MBP, then any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5mm will work. Either measure the height or look up the model once you extracted the HDD from the enclosure.

Btw, the USB 3.0 enclosure will only work at USB 2.0 speeds, due to non existent USB 3.0 drivers for Mac OS X.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

if the WD element uses a HDD that's 2.5" and less than 12.5mm it'll work

5. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

THANKS so much guys, that the confirmation i needed, and yes its the personal ones so its 12.5 mm I'm installing the usb 3.0 hard drive from the original enclosure because I managed to get a 1tb one for 50 bucks from staples.... so I'm paying 50 for a 1tb hard drive... thats the reason why..... my big question now is that the 3.0 hard drive has that usb prong on it.... will i have to break that off to install it in my macbook????

6. simsaladimbamba

If it only has a USB 3.0 connector directly attached to the HDD, then no.
    If the connectors look like this, then no. (Btw, that is a photo of a WD Elements 500GB 2.5" HDD.)
    [​IMG]

If the connectors look like this, then yes.
    [​IMG]

7. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

IM CONfused.... the hard hard drive has a USb 3.0 port..... I'm trying to attach it to the macbook pro so should i break it off?

8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're a bit confused. First you need to remove the bare hard drive from the enclosure. Can't provide instructions since every enclosure is different.

When you get the HD down to its bare self, it should look like this: [​IMG]

Then you're ready to install it in the Macbook Pro.

9. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

mine doesn't look like that... it has a usb 3 prong for plugging it up to a computer.... do i break this off or not?

10. simsaladimbamba

If the HDD only has a USB 3.0 connector, then it has NO (ZERO) S-ATA connector, which is needed to connect a 2.5" S-ATA HDD to the S-ATA interface of the MBP.
    Breaking it off will not reveal a hidden S-ATA connector, as WD makes its own HDD, thus it can provide it with its own interfaces.

Look here for some more information: http://www.devincollier.com/2010/01...-elements-500gb-2-0-portable-hard-drive-case/

----------

NO. It is not the right connector. You just have bought the wrong HDD without researching it first.

11. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

in other words... crap

12. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

If you want us to give you a solid answer, perhaps you should take a picture or two of the HDD; at the point you have disassembled it so far.

13. Maschil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maschil

lol.... i was already given a solid answer... thank you....

14. illidan155 macrumors member

you can 1 upgrade the internal hard drive of your computer or 2 buy an external firewire 800 drive