Wants to stream music wirelessly... Airport, Linksys, other?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by heatherw, Sep 22, 2009.

1. heatherw macrumors newbie

I am a brand new Mac user and so I was going to automatically get an Airport for streaming music wirelessy but then after reading suggestions from others sounds like there are other better and cheaper alternatives out there.

We are using a Belkin router for our wireless internet connection (not sure if that matters nor do I know if I should be giving you any other pertinent info so you can help me). I'm interested in purchasing a product to hook up to our Bose speakers in the living room to listen to music from my ITunes account.

Please help.

Thanks!
    Heatherw

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

First off, welcome to the Mac. :)

Well I absolutely think the AirPort Express is the easiest solution to make this work, hands down. I don't know of a device dedicated solely to stream music wirelessly, although there are other possibilities. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you could get Airfoil with the Airfoil app to stream music over the wi-fi network. But aside from that, an AirPort Express is still your best bet.

3. heatherw thread starter macrumors newbie

Video too?

So Airport is for only audio? What do you need to have capability to watch videos, photos, etc from your computer on the TV?

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes AE is audio only. My network is set up with both. You can use the :apple:TV to stream music to your TV but the AE works great for streaming to the stereo speakers.

5. heatherw thread starter macrumors newbie

Overwhelmed

Thanks for your quick responses. I'm totally overwelmed by all the cool things you can do and trying to sort it all out. Sounds like the Apple TV would be my best bet. My Bose speakers are set up to the TV so with that I can listen to music, watch videos, see photo slideshows, etc.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I agree, the :apple:TV sounds like exactly what you need. Good luck! :)