War Crimes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 23, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It turns out that Donald Trump's statement on the use of torture and other war crimes, as reported in the New York Times yesterday, was somewhat less reassuring than we first thought.

Emphasis mine.

Despite being told by Gen. Mattis that torture was ineffective, Trump still seems to belive that:

No Mr. President-Elect. That's not the standard. We are fighting barbarism and unspeakable cruelty in our fight against ISIS. That is not justification to descend to a level of barbarity and inhumanity ourselves. And I don't care if Gallup poll shows 95% approval for torture or any other War Crime - it doesn't make it right.

It is unfair to ask our brave and honorable men and women in uniform, in the CIA, NSA, and every other Government agency to degrade and dishonor themselves by committing war crimes. And I think it is incumbent on the American people, and the US Congress to give them that assurance. A good start would be asking Trump's nominees for Secretary of Defense, Homeland Security, and any other pertinent office point blank: Will you order subordinates to commit war crimes, including waterboarding? And to further pass a resolution stating that any Government official who does issue such orders will be legally held to account. If not during this Administration, then during the next.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

The more and more he says absurd things that he now will have clear guidance on - like the bright clear Constitutional line against using his office for personal profit and the basics of war crimes - the more I suspect he's being intentionally given enough rope to hang himself with.

Priebus wants him impeached and Pence in his seat by May. And he's helping him along.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Waterboarding=torture and a war crime.

Daily Drone strikes=easy peasy.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Mattis is correct. Better to just kill them on the battle field. Can't wait for Trump to remove the shackles of Obama's restrictive rules of engagement. Our men and women will be safer and much more effective that day forward just as we were prior. Obamafail is out!

6. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Let me just cite for you the language of the United Nations Convention Against Torture. An agreement that was ratified by the United States in 1990:

That is a definition that seems reasonably easy to understand. And not a matter that is subject to caprices and rationalization of a former reality-tv personality.

7. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

How many ground wars would you like us to fight exactly?

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

When did you enlist?

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right because people on the ground equals safe. maybe you should look into how many friendly fires deaths there were in the years since the first iraq war.

21% of Fallen Soldiers Die ‘Non-Hostile’ Deaths
    More than 20 percent of the U.S. soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan were killed not by enemy combatants but in “non-hostile” circumstances, including friendly fire, suicide, illness and accidents.

The rate of non-hostile deaths in the U.S. military has been on the rise since the Korean War, according to an analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Defense.

During the Korean War, 8 percent of fallen military personnel died in non-hostile deaths, the department’s statistics show. The non-hostile death rate rose to 19 percent during the nearly decade-long Vietnam War. For the War on Terror, it tops 21 percent.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

LOL at you trying to inform me who has spent more than a few years on the ground over there. Perhaps you should join the fight and experience what the rules of engagement that Obamafail implemented has done. Once you've done that come back and inform me of your experience.

I look forward to what your reaction would be when you're within a few hundred yards of a guys that would burn you in a cage or cut off your extremities while they film you screaming.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought you were against foreign engagement...

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not him. but I am still waiting on proof that boots on the ground is safer.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, if somebody is a combatant who does not wear a uniform etc. they are not covered by the Geneva code. Water-boarding was a stupid idea by some idiot contractors who didn't understand psychology. I oppose it, but not because it is a war crime. Also, detaining combatants until hostilities cease is also not a crime. The problem is, because the extremists violate the Geneva code and do not wear uniforms (a true war crime), we cannot always be sure if the people we have detained are combatants. Thus, it makes good sense to treat them humanely.