War In General

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by No1451, Mar 20, 2009.

1. No1451 macrumors 6502

There's a lot of this being covered in the Iraq Anniversary thread but it's going hard and fast with two topics figured I could get people's opinions easier this way without crowding up that thread.

So throw down, what is your opinion of war? Any war that has ever been fought or is being fought. I'd love to hear the rational behind opinion's like:

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Well if you are fighting for something other than Oil, Wealth and Power, something like freedom of oppressed peoples then War would be acceptable but as most wars nowadays aren't, I disagree with them and consider them to be BS killing civilians and soldiers for no good reason...

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, to paraphrase Ali G, war is really good at sorting out which nation is stronger.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

being the 'intellectual beings' that we are... or claim to be... war, all war - violence - is pointless

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It depends how you define war, for example if the American Revolution had never happened, you guys in the US would still be ruled by the UK, so all those people saying War is wrong can basically shut up unless they can honestly say they would still prefer to be under colonial rule.

However war for money, oil, water or other natural resources, such as the Iraq War, is completely pointless, the money would be better spent developing things such as nuclear fusion, and solving mans humanitarian issues. Anyone who decides to spend money making cruise missiles when people are starving in Africa has something wrong with them.

7. kabunaru Guest

War is not good.
    World War I was such an unnecessary war and waste of time.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

So your saying the US and the US should have just allowed Hitler in World War 2 to carry on killing Jews, invading eastern European countries and engineering his final solution? Sick....

Appeasement doesn't work, full stop. been there, done that.

9. kabunaru Guest

I mean the first world war, not the second one.
    The second one was needed and necessary. The first world war wasn't.

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

erm yes he was, he was a Solider for the German Army, he got the Iron Cross and was made blind by a gas attack.

11. kabunaru Guest

Unnecessary lives lost in World War I. Nobody really won it. Waste of time the World War I was. Germany should never started the war and WWI should have never happened.

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not necessarily. Our civil war didn't fail everyone. Our Independence war didn't fail everyone. War is not a generally bad thing. If fought for the right reasons such as oppression, civil rights, freedoms. War fought over ego, property, for money is wrong as they are being fought for individual ideology.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Completely agree, but you know if we hadn't fought Germany during WW I we would have ended up fighting the US for the same reasons! scary to think! WW I was caused for similar reasons to WW II which is why i made the automatic comparison.

14. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Congrats on missing my point, you said "Hitler was not around in the first one" to which I said he was, I don't see how that reply fits in with my reply to "Hitler was not around in the first one":confused:

P.S Germany didn't start the war, they went to war because Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (their ally) was assassinated by some Serbian so the Serbs started it tbh, may I suggest you learn history...

15. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Can you explain your thinking on this please?

16. kabunaru Guest

I am just trying to point out why World War I was a waste of time.

17. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Because Germany was standing by it's ally?

If the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand didn't happen the war wouldn't of happened I don't think. Only the Serbs to blame for WW1

18. kabunaru Guest

That shouldn't have started a war. That could have been resolved politically.

19. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

IDK tbh, and you are still avoiding the fact that you got Hitler not being there in WW1 wrong:rolleyes:

20. kabunaru Guest

I did know.
    My mind is not thinking straight right now. I been in enough debates today already. I just wanted to make my point about WWI and that's it.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont support war in any form. Unfortunately sometimes it is necessary, but it should ALWAYS be an absolute last resort.

22. TSE macrumors 68030

You can't say the Serbs were the total cause of the war. While yes, Serbs did kill Archduke and his wife, there were signs of the German Empire and it's allies (known as the Central Powers) and the Allied Powers creating hostility between each other long before that. Russia aggravated Serbia and pushed for them to try and start a revolution against Austria-Hungary, they funded a lot of Serbian organizations where the goal was independence from A-H, until Germany told them to flat out stop it. War was inevitable, it was going to happen sometime, Germany and A-H both used the murder of the Archduke as an excuse to start it.

War, if put for a truthfully good cause, can be good. But nobody can define what is a good cause and what isn't. Hitler thought he was doing the world a great deed, for example.

23. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

“Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I vow to cultivate compassion and learn ways to protect lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any killing in the world, in my thinking, and in my way of life.” --Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

He states my opinion well.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Soldier ants, every one. Nothing more, nothing less.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When this is said about World War II, it tends to lead to a stilted analysis of this. It's true that millions of people (most of them Jews) died in Europe as a result of the German actions leading up to and during the war. It's true that many people died in Nanking as well, due to Japanese actions.

It's simultaneously true, for instance, that millions died in India (link) as a result of the war, by the preventable actions of the British, in a way that did not benefit India (which arguably had friendlier relations than the Crown did with the Japanese). Forgive me for not wholeheartedly and readily accepting the idea that the lives of my own people were infinitely less valuable than the lives of European Jews and sacrificing them was a bargain.

It's simultaneously true also that many were killed and many more oppressed severely because the "deal with the devil" in World War II was to allow Russian and Chinese communism to expand. In fact, had the US and UK not accepted the initial expansion of communism in the name of stopping fascism, it's arguable the Vietnam and Korean wars also might never have been necessary.

I'm not even saying that the US choice to enter WWII was a bad one. Like most Americans, I feel that WWII was one of the three greatest militaristic causes our country has ever involved itself in, right behind our Revolution and our Civil War. It's still far more complicated a calculus than to focus merely on the plight of European Jews....