War on women moves to Ohio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And that last point is one which escapes conservatives.

I'm not sure what the goal is here -- to get Kasich impeached before his term ends, or to lose Ohio for Rmoney in November.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Another WTF

37 centers, only 3 of which provide abortions, are being defunded. Instead of preventing abortions they are going to prevent women from getting the care and check-ups they need.

It's time for the people in these states to stand up and get these yokels out of office. It shouldn't be about being a republican or being a democrat. It should be about being a human.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You can bet that the Stepford Wives will vote as their husbands demand, so it is up to woman like you to scream bloody murder.

Woman will die as a result of actions like this.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sounds like another state is going to be joining Texas in having medicare funding yanked. The Federal level should really stand firm on yanking the funding over this stuff. Make the states go back to the way it should be.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But they will have flexed their 'muscle', which will make the Republican voters happy.

"The plays the thing." ;)

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it plays to get them past the primaries but screws them over in general.

The people who vote in the primaries will vote no matter what for anyone with GOP after their name. They are just scared of the nut jobs in the primaries.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Imagine the crazy **** they'll pull if Reps. take over the federal government and start block granting everything back to the states.

OT: I think this election is the most important in quite some time as it appears at least 2 Supreme Court seats may become available.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then the stakes are very high indeed.

Do you wish Corporations to take over the Supreme Court? (Not you Ralph.)

It could happen.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't have a doubt in the world about that.

And as long as the Republicans keep moving further to the right, every election will be more important than usual...because if these Republicans ever get control of both houses, the presidency and the Supreme Court, we might as well post the country on E-bay and sell it to the highest bidder.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you are going to blame the selling out of the country just on Republicans?

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No.

But it's hard enough holding out hope for improvement with the setup we've got now.

With an all-GOP government, I figure there's no hope at all.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think it matters either way at this point. Money knows no party and will buy and sell blindly.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The two-party system has reached way past it's best-before date.

It's not working anymore, and there is scant hope that it ever will again.

Even if Genghis Khan was running as an Independent, it would be a wise move to vote for him.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Common sense should tell you that if you want to lower the abortion rates, then you want to increase access to contraception. Additionally, you want to fund sex education programs that do not adhere to an abstinence only policy. And when I say common sense I mean any credible study that has examined the issue.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But agendas well beyond common sense are at play here.

This is what you must fight.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Actually, I don't think the last point escapes today's conservatives. I think they mean what they say -- they want to deny all women all varieties of family planning health care.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The problem with the GOP is it operates within the vested interests of Money, the Military Industrial Complex and the Social-Conservatives. There's a very nasty section of a Venn diagram that Democrats, flawed as they are, simply can't compete with.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The religious right has far to much say in the policies of the Republican party.
    By and large most religious faiths have a very bad track record, when dealing with women's rights.

19. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Seriously, Kasich needs to die in a fire. He's the worst kind of human being.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This just needed bolding to point out how completely ridiculous this bill is. I'm so fed up with female sexuality being punished. It's like simply having a vagina, cervix, uterus, and ovaries is a crime to be vilified.

No one is going to stop having sex because some uptight dipshit pulls something like this. All it does is make women (who may not even be sexually active) more unhealthy and increases unwanted pregnancies. Unwanted pregnancies in women who if they can't/won't abort might not be mentally and financially equipped to be a parent. Even worse these same shortsighted hypocrite politicians only stand by the fetus. A newborn is no longer a republican's issue to press. :rolleyes:

WAKE THE **** UP! You can't be against sexual education, contraception, abortion AND single mothers, welfare and pay equality.

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, I think you can. As a matter of fact I was just thinking how convenient it must be to be a flyover state Republican and always be able to stir up a headline-generating, vote-earning political crapfest by damning either irresponsible women having abortions or irresponsible women having "welfare babies." As long as the Bible-thumping bumpkin voters don't figure out that it's normal for people (even women!) to have sex, you can always present yourself as the solution to some aspect of a "problem" you basically made up. Misogyny is the political gift that keeps giving.

22. splitpea macrumors 6502a

This.

It already has. Citizens United decision, anyone? Corporations currently seem to have more rights than women.

It'll also leave women who are intentionally pregnant with poorer prenatal care, higher maternal and infant mortality, poorer health for newborns (which typically impacts the child's entire life)... etc.

Oh, and women who aren't pregnant and may not even be sexually active won't be able to get reproductive health services, which are, you know, recommended for every woman of child-bearing age whether or not she's sexually active.

This includes care for menstrual problems (which can even be life-threatening in some cases where bleeding is excessively heavy and doesn't stop normally), cancers, ovarian cysts (which are debilitatingly painful), endometriosis... need I go on?

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

No but the Republican party has radicalized itself to the point where liberals are so afraid of them getting into power we can no longer exert any leverage on our politicians.

If I didn't think Republicans are patently insane then I would be voting for a third party this election.

Unfortunately I'm so worried about the extremism of the conservative party I can't in good conscience vote for a third party.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If these were men's reproductive issues, we'd have Planned Parenthoods on every corner.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Hardly. It's not like poor men have great, free healthcare in the U.S. "The rich get richer, and the poor get children." You thought that was a mournful expression of reality -- the way things are. It is actually a goal of the far right.

"Citizens United" is a recognition of the fact that rich people have more rights than everybody else.