Warning for those of you who don't want IOS 7!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kevpan815, Oct 9, 2013.

1. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Apple IOS 7.0.2 Automatically downloads if you are both Plugged In and Connected to WIFI as previously mentioned in the MacRumors IPad SubForum. If you do want IOS 7.0.2 to Automaticallly Download, you need to Turn Off WIFI before Plugging In Your Apple IOS Device.

2. SA Spyder macrumors regular

3. kevpan815 thread starter macrumors 6502

It will however take up over 3 GB's of Free Space, Just FYI.

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502

I leave it on and plugged with hopes of iOS 8 automatically installing while I am sleeping some day

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I've got the red "1" on my settings app in iOS 6 where it will sit indefinitely until someone figures out a hack to delete the awaiting iOS 7 update.

6. SA Spyder macrumors regular

But the point of this thread was to warn people against auto-updating to iOS 7, which doesn't happen. Space is another issue entirely.

7. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

So far, for me, it hasn't downloaded or installed.

It did however, download 2 weeks ago, but after a default reset from the options menus it is gone. So yea... Go flip yourself Ive.

Edit: I think I contradicted myself a bit :) I meant that on my iPhone, the device I use the most, I've never been bothered with the iOS 7 update.

8. emseven macrumors regular

Save your SHSH blobs and go back to 6.1.4 whenever you want...

9. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

only works if you have an A4 (or lower) idevice

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Um you realize you are telling the thread starter what the point of his/her thread is? If you notice it says "... who don't want iOS7" and "auto downloading" not "auto updating" so the fact that its taking up space on the device is the point. :) Why would anyone want to give up 3gb of space for an OS they don't want or will not install?

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

That is easily remedied on non-jailbroken iPhones.

12. LastOneToKnow, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

LastOneToKnow macrumors member

Exactly and consider this as well. In many rural areas where ISP's don't provide service the only feasible alternative for Internet access at home is mobile broadband. I'll never see Comcast or Verizon Fios where I live. My only option is Verizon 4G mobile broadband. When I'm at home and on Wi-Fi I'm still paying for cellular data which is very cost prohibitive. Verizon's highest data package for their mobile broadband cards is $80/month for 10gb and another $10/month for each portion of a gig over that. To provide my home 24/7 Internet access I'm using the Verizon card in conjunction with a mobile broadband router that's configured as a gateway. It in turn feeds the WAN port of my Netgear router for the house. Works beautifully. The 4G data speeds are fantastic as well, but due to the data package we simply can't afford to download large files if we don't need to, stream video and so forth.

Needless to say I was more than a bit annoyed when I discovered that all of the iPhone's and iPad's at the house auto-downloaded this damn iOS 7 setup file. The fact that it doesn't install automatically as well is beside the point. Cost my family $60 in overage fees this month not to mention that fact it's taking up precious space on our devices considering the fact none of us are going to install iOS 7 anyway. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've owned iPhone's and iPad's since iOS 4 and I never recall an iOS setup file auto-downloading to our devices before, not until iOS 7 anyway. Had I known Apple was going to be force feeding our devices the iOS 7 setup file I could have easily prevented the file from coming down by simply ensuring none of our devices had the available space required for the file to download to start with and though I've considered it, I don't really want to start disabling Wi-Fi every time I connect a given device to power as I routinely use my iPhone/iPad while it's charging or connected to the computer for whatever reason, several of the apps that I use requiring access to my home network, but not the Internet.

13. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

Perhaps a good reason to not have 3GB of free space available then? I have a 16GB iPhone 4S and generally only keep about 2GB free, loading the rest with music/photos/apps/etc.

If there is literally not 3GB of free space available, then Apple can't force this 7.0.2 download onto my phone right?

14. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

The setup file that's downloaded to your device is compressed, so no. You could have considerably less than 3gb of free space available and still have the setup file download to your device. It just wouldn't be able to unzip once downloaded, then providing you the option to install it if you wanted.

15. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

Can anyone verify if this process to delete the iOS 7 download (but not installed) file works? From Chinese site, WEIPhone (original link: http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-7022768.html)

"Part 2. Delete iOS 7 firmware downloaded automatically:

Method A: If you have backup in iTunes, recover it. (I didn't test this method, so it's on your own risk.)

Method B: Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted."

16. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

I found that same post on Apple's forums and personally would not risk it. For all of my devices that downloaded the iOS 7 setup file I simply cleared all settings and data for each setting them up as new devices using iTunes, only enabling Wi-Fi while on power after having filled all remaining space on the given device with music or videos. There are a couple posts in the iOS 6 forums talking about this subject as well. One such thread can be found here.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Exactly. Use at your own risk as the apple forums are manned by Apple as much as this forum is.

18. smurfy2013 macrumors newbie

Excellent thread OP.

Question, are you already on 7 when this happens? As it might be just post 7 Update?

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

You underestimate the power of iOS 7. Come over to the dark side....

[​IMG]

20. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

People are treating it like it's a virus or the government hacking into their phones...

21. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

I'm treating it like Apple's just raped my bank account. I pay for data even when I'm at home and on Wi-Fi as my only option for home Internet access is mobile broadband. Had I known the iOS 7 setup file would be auto-downloaded to my family's devices while on both Wi-Fi and power I could have easily taken steps to prevent it saving myself $60 in data overage fees in the process per my Verizon billing cycle which just ended. I want no part of iOS 7 personally, but if I did I would have waited until my next billing cycle, downloaded it once using my PC, then updating my family's devices manually using iTunes. Find it in very bad taste for Apple to be auto-downloading their 1gb iOS 7 setup file to devices without the user being given the option to refuse the download.