Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Perhaps doesn't apply to Mojave, but definitely High Sierra...

Was preparing a DOA screen iMac pro (came with High Sierra) for return to B&H. Working on external display BTW.

Since I can't figure out how to get into recovery mode (what were they thinking getting rid of the chime sound?!) I at least wanted to deauthorize iTunes and change my password. I decided that no password would be the most appropriate for a return.

So, I changed my password to no password. I was prompted with a warning that anybody would be able to login, and clicked OK.

Problem now is it's impossible to login. Haha, it shows my password hint of "no password", but it will NOT accept a blank password.

Warning to others: DON'T DO THIS.

As well, when I deauthorized iTunes, the feedback is ambiguous. After deauthorizing, it says something to the effect of "this computer needs to be authorized to perform this operation".

So, I logged-in AGAIN (does that "authorize"?) and repeated. Same thing.

Very disappointed at multiple failures to provide clear feedback. That's something that Apple USED to be known for (clear feedback).

- iMac Pro, no startup chime
- iMac Pro, no LED, no power indication of any kind, have to feel for air flow
- iTunes ambiguous de-authorization feedback
- MacOS lets you set a blank password for an account, but doesn't let you use it

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
FYI:

1. Hit Option-Enter
2. You get dialog with both user ID and password
3. Fill in user ID
4. Hit return on password

It it shows the user icon, hitting return on password will NOT work.

Apparently, on older versions, you could click on the icon to log-in.

Now I am setting the password to "password" for return, and setting the hint to "password" (since I cannot figure out how to boot into recovery mode to reformat/reinstall).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You should always use -some kind- of password.
Anything is better than nothing.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Not when you have an elementary school computer lab with a bunch of iMacs being accessed by 400 5 to 10 years old children every week.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009

I was preparing it for return for refund. Since I was unable to get into Recovery Mode to fully erase/reinstall MacOS on an external monitor (MacOS came up on the monitor, but not Recovery Mode!, and internal screen was DOA) I wanted to do as much as possible to "depersonalize" and make it as easy as possible for them to check out on return and authorize return credit.

So, after deauthorizing, logging out of iTunes, deleting the couple of apps I'd installed (just speed tests...), and setting the password to empty was I figured the best I could do. Only that causes further complication, so wound up setting password to "password" with a hint.

And, hey, if some rogue FedEx employee decides to take it home - early Merry Christmas! (j/k Fedex, they were great on both deliveries! In both cases, the corners of that odd-shaped box were crimped, but that is Apple's fault... The outer box and padding protected the inner boxes which were pristine.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.