Warning!

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The issue was resolved. It seems like the package was either lost in the mail or taken from my building. I want to apologize to Rod Rod for starting this thread, and let it be known that he came through on his part of the deal. Thank you Rod for coming back and clearing everything up. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with you again, except maybe next time we go with UPS. =)

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
This thred should be in the buying tips but thanks for the Warning

dan-o-mac said:
I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I was involved in a trade with Rod Rod, my iSight for his Airport Express. Bottom line is he received my iSight Oct. 5 and has failed to deliver on his part, I have yet to receive the Airport or a reply to my private messages and emails. I tried to hold out as long as I could before writing this thread thinking there would be some reasonable explanation, but there is no excuse. Rod Rod continues to log on to macrumors and post, yet does not reply to messages. I just wanted to warn the members macrumors to be careful when dealing with Rod Rod. Dan

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the advice Reberto. I just assumed this would be the best place to post the thread. If he decides to do another trade the Marketplace is the place he would do it. If a mod feels the need to move it, so be it.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
ITASOR said:
Sorry about bumping this, but did this ever get resolved?
It was never resolved. It looks like RodRod stopped logging on to MacRumors as of 10/20/05. Oh well what can you do, be more careful next time I suppose.:)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Dang, that sucks... I've dealt with him before and he came through fine then (I sold him a Mac mini 256 MB RAM stick for $25 back in January/February). Sorry to hear this happened.

EDIT: Guess I should note... in our transaction, I had his check in hand BEFORE I sent him his merchandise. But he still seemed very honest... he even posted a kudos for me here.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
He mentioned a few MacRumor names as references. I guess it was a different situation being a seller(Bob_Barker, clayj). Being the seller you wait for payment then ship the item, when trading it's just a matter of trust. After you ship your item out, the most you can do is cross your fingers and hope the other person your dealing with is on point and honest. Thanks for the condolences guy!

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Peterkro said:
Without being dramatic it is possible something has happened to Rodrod maybe in hospital or something,as some people have said he's had straight deals before.
That's what I thought at first, but he continued to log on and post on MacRumors while ignoring my private messages and emails for at least 2 weeks after he recieved my iSight.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Peterkro said:
Without being dramatic it is possible something has happened to Rodrod maybe in hospital or something,as some people have said he's had straight deals before.
If he can still log into MR, he can still send an email or PM explaining his situation.;)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Man, that stinks. I read many good things about him, and I would have been one to do a trade with him as well. It seems a "waste" for someone to post thousands of times on a forum, and then do a scam to get what, $100?

This may be a long shot, and a VERY dirty plan, but maybe he figured he was done posting on MR, so he was going to do a scam before he leaves. :mad: :( :mad: :eek:

Dan-o-mac, if you know his address, send him a letter. I don't know how old he is, but maybe his wife or parent or someone will read it. :)

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Peterkro said:
I don't know if that was aimed at me or not,the truth is of course I feel sorry for you if you've been ripped off.I was just pointing out there may be other reasons for what happened.
Actually that was meant for clayj and bob barker, I just forgot the "s" in guys. So to all, thanks for the condolences.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
ITASOR said:
Man, that stinks. I read many good things about him, and I would have been one to do a trade with him as well. It seems a "waste" for someone to post thousands of times on a forum, and then do a scam to get what, $100?

This may be a long shot, and a VERY dirty plan, but maybe he figured he was done posting on MR, so he was going to do a scam before he leaves. :mad: :( :mad: :eek:

Dan-o-mac, if you know his address, send him a letter. I don't know how old he is, but maybe his wife or parent or someone will read it. :)
I saw his post count also and I didn't get it either, why would an active member just stop posting for an iSight, Powerbook maybe(not that I would wish that on anyone). You could be right maybe he decided to cashout, but like I said before why do it for an iSight, it makes no sense. I think I will take your suggestion and write a letter or two. Thanks for the Idea ITASOR.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
reberto said:
you can IM him at murad2 . He is off right now but he is on often
I tried that too, it looks like he's ducking me. I guess he knows my s/n from the emails I've sent. Well Everybody has his AOL IM feel free to send him a message for me! :D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dan-o-mac

When you send a letter don't put his name on the address (on the envelope) so that someone else in the house will open it rather than him.

Put a return address of a friend or someone else's house. If I still had my P.O. Box, I'd let you use that. Maybe someone else has an address they can let you use.

Put:

Current Resident
His address
his address
his address

:)

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
IF you are convinced...

and only IF.. and you have kept proof, what Rod Rod did is considered Mail Fraud, which is Federal Crime. I suggest you take the time and call his local Police Department and give them the information.

If you look the other way, then more Rod Rod's will surface which hurts us all.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
dan-o-mac said:
I tried that too, it looks like he's ducking me. I guess he knows my s/n from the emails I've sent. Well Everybody has his AOL IM feel free to send him a message for me! :D
Will do ;)

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
maya said:
You have his home address, I say if he doesn't answer your emails or give some sort of explanation, then REPORT him to the authorities. You get what you put yourself into. ;) :)
I haven't decided if I want to go that route. I will write him first explaining that I will go to the authorities if he does not respond to me. I hesitate to go that route because I know first hand that having any kind of criminal record can come back to haunt you in the future.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
RGunner said:
and only IF.. and you have kept proof, what Rod Rod did is considered Mail Fraud, which is Federal Crime. I suggest you take the time and call his local Police Department and give them the information.

If you look the other way, then more Rod Rod's will surface which hurts us all.
I do have all the private message from the trade. like I said before I am unsure if I want to go that route. I will give him some more time to respond.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
dan-o-mac said:
I do have all the private message from the trade. like I said before I am unsure if I want to go that route. I will give him some more time to respond.
How long have you waited?