Warping of Ethernet Port (MBP Early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comradejon, Feb 7, 2013.

1. comradejon macrumors newbie

Heya there,

I did a bit of googling about warped ethernet ports and there seem a few posts out there on the issue, but no definite answer. I can provide a pic if you like, but it's pretty easily explainable: just next to the speaker on my 15" MBP I noticed a bump I'd not seen before, and I saw that the top of the ethernet port has warped.

I use the ethernet port a lot, but I don't get why it's happened or what best to do. It appears to be working absolutely fine, but I was wondering if it would be worth taking it to the Apple Store. I've got a three year education warranty, and if they can fix it then that'll be great, but it's also my only computer and whilst in term time probably best not to lose my computer for long periods of time.

Just wanted to know other people's stories on the issue, whether it should be fixed immediately or not, that sort of thing. Cheers!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Of all these stories of spontaneous warping, I don't believe. I believe logical explanations, like the kids, your significant others, the cat, even yourself, dropped the thing, perhaps wo realizing it first.

Once u accept this then we can move on to fixing.

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

It could be a sub-spatial anomaly.

4. comradejon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a second year student, no one else uses my laptop, I've never dropped it and no one else has access to it. It's happened in the past few weeks, and since I've been living in university accommodation for the past month and a bit, in a private room, unless in a drunken stupor I've thrown it about I don't get how it happened.

All I wanted to know is, has anyone who has had this issue gone to the Apple Store and had it fixed, particularly those within warranty (without applecare), and for those who have left it has the proper got worse or is it safe to leave until a later date.

It has surprised me the amount of views this thread has got with the only two responses over the course of a day being that it must be fault, with no advice or previous experience offered.

EDIT: I also don't take it to lectures, I use an iPad for notes, the furthest it has moved is from my bed to the desk.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You will get the same response from the Genius Bar hence why not many replies - in almost all circumstances, MBP metal doesn't warp from normal heat/use. The GB will suggest that it was hit somehow and warped at its weakest point, which happens to be by a port opening. I write from experience.

6. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

There's a similar thread from another user who noticed some bending around his HDMI port. Link.

It could very well be that you dropped something on the cable near the plug that caused the plug to move within the socket. Just guessing that you're talking about similar damage here.