Warrantless Wiretapping: Obama, same as Bush.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sysiphus, Nov 2, 2009.

1. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

3. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The more entertaining question really is this: did Obama "see the light" and thus was Bush right...or is Obama turning into a letdown for those who voted for him back in November?

I've heard both arguments (my parents firmly believe that the wiretapping is the right thing, and were thrilled to hear Obama support it)...but I've got a lot of friends here at college who fall into the latter group....

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't understand how warrantless wiretapping helps them out, don't they usually just call a judge to get approval first anyways? If the case has any merit there shouldn't be a problem getting a warrant.

5. sysiphus thread starter macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

When you can get retroactive warrants from secret courts with secret evidence, it doesn't leave much accountability in the mix.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We've talked about this before. This is old news. And this is a definitely a letdown. It wasn't right when Bush did it, and it's not right now.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Changing the author does not make a bad story more compelling.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. It's still the wrong thing to do.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, the whole problem is a govt thats not accountable to its people or its own laws.

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually now its a democrat I don't really have a problem with it. Remember Democrat = Good in all circumstances ;).

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think warrantless wiretaps are of course very wrong and fly in the face of a free nation.

I think it's the case of Obama coning the American people and now we're finding out we've been coned. I knew it before his inauguration myself. I said as much here too and everyone jumped me for it. Again there is no such thing as a two party system in the US and hasn't been for at least half a century. It's a salesmen's game. I heard someone compare it to late-night TV wrestling. You can bet on who you like but since both wrestlers are owned by the same guy he doesn't really care who you bet on. He get's paid the same. The same exact agenda is realized. Only some minor details are different. Suit color, style, popularity.

Actually I shouldn't even say that it's Obama who conned us. He's a total puppet. It's the puppet masters who are doing the conning. Several presidents in the past 50 years or so have told us this directly. I also believe the US elections are 80% or so rigged. So we don't even know who would have really won had the vote been straight. That happened sometime in the past 10 years or so. Before that there was some voter fraud happening but nowhere on the same scale. There's buttloads of evidence to support this.

But whatever, as long as the mascot's (puppet's) name is Obama let's blame him.

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

What is sad is that there are people who actually believe that statement. (works for the other side as well)

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Why rig the election when they only let you decide among two candidates?

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

So it was rigged for Bush twice and then rigged for Obama? Did the riggers switch parties or were there new riggers who outrigged the old riggers?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They rigged their internal elections whose outcome gets to decide who does the rigging this time around.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While I don't like this wiretapping one bit, I'd like to take a side note about this kind of statement. Do you honestly believe that EVERY LAST THING in washington was going change? You guys bring this up for anything you disagree with Obama on (and sometimes rightfully so) and then pull the same "this is the change you wanted?" routine. Its annoying.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And all it does to so show is Obama is the same type of power hungery lieing two face scumbag we had before.

So we still have a power hungry lieing, two face, scumbag in charge just with a new face. Talk about change.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll take this one over Bush any day.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its to be expected when you run on a campaign of change... and then don't provide it. So far Obama has made a few good choices and many of the same choices I think Bush would have made. So I guess that is better than just making the choices Bush would have made.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Isn't it..... jzzz. Sort of like hearing about how bad the Republican party is in a lot of threads that are posted here. Imagine that. Pretty annoying.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Republican party IS bad. When only 21% of the population calls themselves Republican, it's pretty safe to say your party has serious problems.

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

"Read my lips: no new taxes."

How naive do you have to be to believe that a politician is going to do everything they say they're going to do? I do believe most of them have good intentions (but maybe I'm being naive now).