Warranty and Return period

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

when you purchase the 5S, normally there's a 14 day grace period no questions asked at the apple store. is that 14 days from the day you receive your phone or from order date? it wouldn't make sense if it's from the order date cause the phone is on backorder. that would mean we already lost the return period and lost 1 month warranty? warranty should start from the day you receive it right?

i'm hoping it's not the the order date cuz i don't have the phone physically.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple stores are 30 days and I think its on shipping date but I could be wrong. Carriers only offer a 14 day return period.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

shipping date? so let's say my phone was shipped from china today 10/5, my warranty started today? if it takes 5 days to deliver then that's 5 days against my warranty/return period? that wouldn't make sense. :mad:

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

That should be working days so in the case of the 14 day return period, don't count weekends

5. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

yea i know about the working days... the issue is when does the warranty/return period starts, when we receive the phone physically?

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Mine started two days prior to getting it. I bought from Apple online so I had the 30 day grace period -2 days so that was no big deal. Do same and you have plenty of time to return it. Or go when they are in stock to a Carriers store and buy, get 14 day grace period

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, where's what Apple's website says (emphasis mine):

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

8. ABC5S, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

One more time as posted just above me, but a little bit more clear OP.

1. Apple products with the exception of the iPhone's Apple will give you a 14 day grace period.....Period

2. The iPhone's get 30 days to return it. Period...

3. You get 14 days from most Carriers to return the iphone. This is why many get them from Apple direct.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund#

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:

"You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either through the Apple Online Store or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.

Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it".

9. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

The only catch is if your on ATT after 14 days your upgrade cannot be reversed

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes

yes, this is true and an often missed requirement when people think that the "apple store has a 30 day return policy"..if you carrier has the 14 days, apple will let you return it AFTER 14 days for a REFUND, but you can't upgrade any longer (even paying up for a higher priced model) and get the subsidy. AT&T won't return you "eligibility" after the 14 day period.

So yes, it's a bit misleading.

11. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

This is good information to know. Am contemplating returning my 32GB for a 64GB. I really only have 14 days. I'm in CA and I thought there was a 30 day rule, but maybe that changed?

12. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

it's 30 days to return the phone but if you used your upgrade eligibility ATT will only reset it within 14 days

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

exactly, it's really more about the 14 day upgrade eligibility. Just keep in mind that the upgrade eligibility can only be "returned" or reset prior to 14 days.

In my example, I only wanted to upgrade to a 64gb phone from a 32gb phone, and figured I could basically do that at any point within 30 days and just pay the fee. AFTER 14 days, the price difference would no longer be 100$ it would be essentially full price minus what I had already paid. That would be silly.

I wish they communicated this better though.

14. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Ok. Thank you for the clarification!

----------

I agree! I thought it was 30 days. And, that is correct, but not completely. I will need to decide soon if want to jump to the 64 or not.

15. takeshi74, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Also note:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/open/salespolicies