Warranty expires in a couple weeks, should I bring it in for the plastic hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyco2008, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jimmyco2008, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

So pretty much ever since I bought my Macbook Pro (mid 2012) last January, the hinge has made clicking noises when opening and closing the lid.

It's tolerable, certainly a first-world problem, but this is my last chance to get it..."fixed" for free under warranty. I brought it in to my local Apple store many months back just to get the issue documented and see about fixing it (I assume by replacing the plastic hinge), and the "Genius" said they'd do it, but they don't see a reason to, you know, in their opinion.

I opened it up to dust it out, and played with the plastic hinge cover a bit... It's rather loose on one side and pretty much solid on the other... I tried pushing on it to maybe snap it back into place, but no luck there... Anyway, I'm certain this is what's causing the noise when I open and close the lid, but I'm not sure I can fix the problem by actually popping it off and then snapping it back in, you know, by taking the Macbook apart. I don't really have a problem doing that, I can do the job in an hour vs. leaving it with Apple for a couple/several days. I've taken apart my fair share of Macbook Pros, but... It's under warranty, and I'm thinking it does in fact need a whole new hinge if this one's "snap tabs" are damaged. But a new hinge cover is $15 on eBay, and my Apple store is booked for the next four days..

I'm considering selling this Macbook Pro and picking up a Retina Display variety, and I feel like I'd have to sell it for less after saying the hinge makes a noise (I'm an honest seller!).

Anyway, I thought I'd get opinions from the peanut gallery, perhaps someone out there has in fact taken their Macbook in for repair for this exact reason, or maybe you DIY'd the hinge replacement... if that's you, please chime in!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bottom line is you paid a lot of money for the computer and if its not operating the way you expect it, by all means bring it in. You'll be SOL if the creaky hinge snaps in a month.

3. Rosh macrumors member

may as well. get them to clean your machine as well

4. 7itanium macrumors member

yes.... one of the main reasons that we spend 2 grand on apple products is due to the SUPPORT

apple will tell you to go climb a tree if you come in after warranty (unless you want to pay them)

it may be a minor issue... but nonetheless its an issue, and one that you didnt pay for to be there

definately do it

5. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, good points all around.

Can anyone speak to how long I'll be without my only computer? This seems like a relatively-simple fix compared to replacing the entire display for example...

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Maybe grab a cheap copy of AppleCare before it does run out too!

7. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update-

I took it in to my local Apple Store, and the guy shipped it out for repair even though he (allegedly) could not hear any creaking noise. He also said the clutch cover being loose is normal. Whatever, all that matters is it came back with a new clutch cover, and the display is actually looser (it was really tight before = actually hard to open and close relative to other laptops). Honestly, it still makes some noise, but it's not of the obnoxious creaking variety, so I'm pretty happy.

Thanks again for the replies!

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

You can honestly tell them it still makes noise if its abnormal. I recently had a repair done to my MBP and the backlit keyboard didn't work when they were finished. I took it back, they forgot to connect the cable.

9. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I had this same issue - where it sounded like the plastic was cracking - and they were able to do the repair in-house at the Apple Store. I did have to wait for a new clutch cover to come in (they had them for every model but mine in stock) and the Genius I worked with said that it's something that they replace every once in awhile and it's not terribly hard (apparently cracked ones on older machines are more common, but not widespread).

The clutch cover floats in place compared to being screwed in place on the plastic MacBooks and the pre-unibody MacBook Pros, so it does have some give. Over the years, I've seen plenty of unibody MacBook Pros with a slight creak or click when initially moving screen positions, but yours sounded a bit noisier (like mine).

If anyone is wondering, Apple would charge about $45 for the repair ($5 for the part and $40 for labor), although you can find the part online for a little more and do it yourself - the instructions for the 2009 model are basically the same as the 2012, although the 2012 has more connectors for the WiFi antennas:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Display+Replacement/10366

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Clutch+Cover+Replacement/6018