Warranty for HE priced MBP bought by friend at uni

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nytrav, Feb 15, 2011.

1. nytrav, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

nytrav macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm finally switching from PC to Mac and I was thinking of getting new MBP 13" 2,4Ghz with help of my friends UK HE discount from Kent university. As I understand I will get the 3 year warranty and 1 year phone support as this link suggests, but what happens if my MBP breaks down and I would need to take it to the store to get it fixed. Isn't there going to be a problem because the MBP would be signed under my friends name ? Or if I called the phone support ?

Thank you

-Nytrav

2. mike457 macrumors 6502

You should have no problem with this. Register the MBP with Apple in your own name when you get it, and buy the Applecare in your own name. If you do that, you'll have no problem with service. No one will ever ask whether it was purchased with the educational discount.

Enjoy the new computer!

3. nytrav thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! But I do not want to buy the AppleCare, because there will be 3 years of basically the same warranty as AppleCare already included. But I went through a lot of threads here on MR and elsewhere and some people had issues with Apple even acknowledging their 3 years warranty. If this would happen, my friend would probably have to call them herself as she would be the one making the purchase no ?