Warranty on 1st Gen but not on AT&T.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gigamaster89, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

Does Apple fix phones that are bought off eBay?

I have an unlocked/jailbroken first gen off eBay. Recently, the phone doesn't hold a charge anymore (it dies after like 5 hours idle), and I'm not on AT&T so I was thinking:

- Restore (which btw, can I get a step by step for COMPLETE restore?)
    - Give to friend who has AT&T
    - Bring to Apple and get it fixed

1. Will that work? My warranty is until 2010.
    2. Will Apple replace the battery or give me a different phone?

2. mac.gir1 macrumors newbie

mac.gir1

Former Apple employee here (corporate, not store)... unlocked or jailbroken phones are not warrantied by Apple. Once a phone is jailbroken, any previous warranty is voided.

Edited to add: Also, often times a restore through iTunes won't work on a jailbroken iPhone. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but no, Apple won't help you with this one. Sorry :(

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Don't listen to this.

However, in order for your plan to work, your friend would have to have an iPhone account and just pop their SIM in yours. Otherwise, you'll be forced to activate it through iTunes, which will add the iPhone plan to their account and extend their contract for 2 years.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm curious how a 2G iPhone has a warranty on it until 2010. Was it bought after the 3G came out or was AppleCare purchased for it? If so, was the AppleCare transferred properly to you?

All that aside, mac.girl1 has told you how Apple views the phone. I have found discussions that say to use a pay-as-you-go SIM in the phone when you bring it in.

5. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

I was given a 2g iPhone that has warranty til august. if it's not activated, and it has a problem, can i get it replaced?

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Last I knew it has to have an AT&T activation or Apple won't touch it.

7. netslacker macrumors 6502

If it's not activated, how do you know it has a problem?

I'm sure it does and you know it, but taking it to Apple and saying "here's my un-activated phone, it's not working, can I get warranty?" :eek:

Apple's reply: "sure, let's just get that re-activated for you so that I may 'see' the problem... what's your phone number?" :confused:

8. mac.gir1 macrumors newbie

mac.gir1

If this works, great. I'm not for lying to Apple, but that's just me.... and as far as the "don't listen to this" part, I'm sure JBaker knows what he's talking about. After all, I only worked in iTunes/iPhone support and dealt with this exact situation several thousand times... :rolleyes:

:apple:Tori

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Tori, welcome to the Forum but your attitude is what generated the response from the previous poster. :(

We all know that a simple restore will allow the OP to relock the iPhone to AT&T and reset 99.9% of all traces of any "bad' activity and allow the owner to get service at Apple. This exact question has been asked and answered thousands of times since the original iPhone was released back in '07. :)

Dave

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Call Apple they will send you a replacement, then restore and send it back, I have done this many times and I never had a problem.

Dont listen to people who have no clue :)

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Precisely my point.
    A basic restore and "set up as new phone" will erase all traces of a jailbreak. I have NEVER heard of a reported case of an iPhone being completely bricked due to a jailbreak. It's always possible to restore it to factory settings.

That said, I don't jailbreak my phone, because I could never deal with the hassle of waiting for a new jailbreak anytime a bug update comes out.

12. Gigamaster89 thread starter macrumors member

I was unaware that the Applecare has to be transferred, anyone confirm?

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Geez. No need for someone else to confirm it for you. Go and LOOK at the terms of the Applecare agreement. Section 8. The AppleCare/Apple product owner has to transfer the warranty over to you by following the instructions in the Applecare warranty. You'd better hope he kept a record of the purchase of the AppleCare warranty. That's one of the required items to transfer it and it had better have originated with someone authorized to sell AppleCare or they'll refuse it.

http://www.apple.com/r/store/applecare/APPTermsConditions.pdf

14. Gigamaster89 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I found it right after I posted it. Going to get on this ASAP.