Warranty question - please help before being bullied by AT&T tomorrow!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenfields, Jun 23, 2010.

1. greenfields macrumors member

Does anyone know if the standard 30 day tech support and 1 year warranty that comes with the iPhone 4 is valid for any iPhone 4 regardless of what store you buy it?

I believe when I pick mine up tomorrow AT&T is going to try and convince me that the iPhone has absolutely no warranty at all, and if it is defective the following day, I'm screwed.

I'm thinking this isn't true, and Apple would cover all their products with the same 1 year warranty, like a gaming system, it doesn't matter what store you buy your PS3 or 360 from, Sony/MS cover the warranty wherever.

The Applecare ($70/year) can be added any time within the first year while it is still under Apple's warranty right? So it probably would make the most sense to add it closer towards the end of the year, rather than right away?

2. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Wait, what? Are you just assuming AT&T WILL say there is no warranty or some rep actually said it?? iPhone comes with 1 year of warranty and 90 days of tech support call no matter you buy from AT&T or Apple.

3. greenfields thread starter macrumors member

When I pre-ordered the rep was trying to convince me that the new iPhone 4 was different than any other phone because it has no warranty on it, and wouldn't let me setup my plan, said we'd do that when I pick it up, and they were going to go over the insurance options, I believe they were going to have to add the Applecare program from day 1, and possibly another insurance too.

I just want to walk in, get the phone, and walk out without spending another cent on a single thing there. I even ordered my bumper for it from Apple directly so I don't need to buy on at AT&T which probably won't even have the color I want!

4. coelacanth macrumors 6502

What the rep told you was a total BS. Yes, most likely you'll have to activate the phone at the store when you pick it up, but there is no way you HAVE to get Apple Care or insurance plans then. You can get Apple Care within 1 year from the purchase date, and iPhone 4 comes with 1 year warranty and 90 days tech support as I mentioned.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone
    (scroll down to AppleCare description section)

5. greenfields thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I had a feeling it was BS, I just wanted to feel a little more certain.