Warranty void after iPhone screen cracked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmiz, Apr 21, 2013.

1. willmiz macrumors member

Hi all,

I've had a problem with the camera on my iPhone 5 which would be covered under applecare, though recently accidentally dropped it and cracked my screen. The back part of my phone still looks flawless as I had a case on my phone for most of it's life, and the camera problem would clearly be unrelated to the fall. I was wondering if my warranty is now void after I cracked my phone or not as I have heard conflicting viewpoints.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

All you can do is take it in and explain the situation and see what the genius says. There is really no way to know for sure until you get it in front of someone and let them determine if the drop could have caused the problem.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you have Applecare+ then you have two instances of accidental damage covered at $50 ($49.99) each.

If you did not purchase Applecare+ then you are on your own and can only take it in and see as the previous poster mentioned.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Sometimes if you offer to buy AppleCare+ and use your first accident then and there they will allow you to do it. Therefore you are only out $99 + $49 than $229, and you will also have one accident replacement left.

5. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Thanks Mlrollin91, that's good to know!

6. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Applecare+ has to be purchased within the first 30 days and the phone would have to be expected.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm assuming your screen still works, but the glass is cracked?

If so, show them the camera issue. Tell them you don't need the screen fixed, but you want the camera fixed.

This will put them in a bind… which means you might get them to replace the phone since they don't actually do repairs.

Don't go in high and dandy asking for a replacement immediately. What you want is for them to "repair it."

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I understand that, but sometimes, if you go in and offer to purchase AppleCare+ then and there and offer to use the first of the 2 replacements they will help you out. My brother's friend just did it last week.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Sorry but why do you feel they should replace it free if you do? Your phone was damaged.... I understand the camera part is unaffected but electronics and sudden jarring stops don't mix. Even IF the camera was having issues before a drop how can you prove to apple the fall didn't cause the issue?

I would try and take it in and see what happens but OOW replacement will prob be your option unless you have ac+.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once the device has physical damage the warranty is gone.
    Would be nice to bring in a cracked iphone and make up another story like issues with the camera but that can also be blamed on the physical damage cause by the user.
    I doubt they will replace it for free but cant hurt to try.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes the warranty should be voided if there's any physical damage to the phone.