Warranty with baseband 3.0 but not firmware 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smassey321, Apr 28, 2009.

1. smassey321 macrumors newbie

I am downgrading my iphone back to 2.2.1 and the baseband will stay at 3.0. When I take it in for warranty will they check the baseband? Just don't want to waste my time driving to the store for nothing. The crack at the mute switch is getting bigger each day and I want to swap it out before the warranty ends which will be very close to when 3.0 is official out :).

thanks

2. raptorlol macrumors newbie

don't downgrade and take it to the store. just say that you are on the SDK program if the say something about os 3.0

3. smassey321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was in an Apple store last week and asked about warranty w/ 3.0. Several employees confirmed that I had no warranty now that I was on 3.0. The funny thing was they all had 3.0 on their iphones also.

4. Untaken macrumors member

They were full of @#$%. Beta or not, 3.0 is official software FROM APPLE and they would have to have a disclaimer included with the 3.0 software update such as "Note: Updating to the 3.0 Beta will void your warranty." in order to legally refuse to honor the warranty. And think about it, if they did that they would have NO beta testers and NO developers ready with new apps once 3.0 rolls around.

As for having the baseband from 3.0 on 2.2.1, they should still legally have to honor the warranty as you can successfully downgrade to 2.2.1 using APPLE'S SOFTWARE (DFU mode) and I can personally vouch for not having to jailbreak in order to get 2.2.1 up and running again (I just had to reset the phone and then re-sync with iTunes).

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Should have asked for a manager. There's no reason for them to not service a defective phone with the developer software on it if you're part of the SDK program.

6. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Actually it specifically says that in the beta agreement that once 3.0 is on there the phone is permanently in "testing mode" and the warranty no longer applies. I don't know if they check but they were right not to service it as it explicitly states this in the agreement.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There is nothing in the pre-installation advisory stating this. Until you provide the passage that contains that condition I'm doubting you.

Here's what it says in the pre-installation advisory:
    Nothing about warranty.

8. richg916 macrumors regular

They replaced mine because of cracking, but stated if it were software related they wouldn't be exchanging.

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Where?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you are an official Dev, then you have no problem. Just say you are a registered Dev. Apple won't deny warranty to a Dev of theirs. Suggest you go back all the way to 3.0

If you aren't you must come up with some excuse as to why, as in why dear God do you torture me with some useless threads (no reference to this thread), you have a beta you are not even supposed to have.

11. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

I believe you because this is in the AppleCare warranty about beta devices. I can't say what the limited Apple warranty says, but what you're talking about is part of the AppleCare warranty.

12. smassey321 thread starter macrumors newbie

The store employees actually said the normal warranty did not work for beta software however Apple Care would. Apple Care was their solution to their problem. They were un-aware you could roll back :)

13. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Okay, so I got them confused. I knew one did. Glad it worked out!

14. The General macrumors 601

Because installing 3.0 made his phone crack next to the silent switch. :rolleyes:

15. Esquinato macrumors newbie

Verified to be TRUE

I have taken my broken beta phone too three different Apple stores in the Portland, OR area and all of them have told me basically to ****. One even said "Well you know you're suppose to have two phones to be a developer" to which I responded "So you can void the warranties on both my phones?"

3 Managers of three different stores the orange shirted bitches..... All of them gave me the same number to call... Called Apple care, called the Developers line.... spent at least 4 hours on skype trying to get to the bottom of it. Everyone says... SORRY... and DAMMIT THAT ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH ANSWER. I even sent a 12 line flame email to sjobs@apple just to make myself feel a little better and to tell them that his lawyers suck.

I've contacted every tech website on the planet but no one has wanted to pick up the story. Its absolute BS. Im glad to finally see a post about it. When it happened to me the internet was silent. I felt so alone. We need to get this out there... because as a poster said earlier... if testers knew this... they'd NEVER upgrade their phone... unless they felt like taking a 500 gamble. I know I wouldnt have.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, you're only supposed to use the Beta on your testing phone, in case something goes wrong. He didn't mean that you should install the beta on both...

The reason for this issue (I'm not saying that I agree) is that the beta may cause the iPhone to not work properly. In that situation it doesn't make sense for them to exchange iPhones that don't work because of software, specially since people are warned that they install the beta at their own risk.

I do believe they do exchange if something is clearly a hardware fault (or at least they should).

17. pugnut macrumors 6502a

That is simply not true. If there is a hardware issue or the phone does not work at all they will replace it. That have for me and numerous developers on my team, read my prior threads. What store specifically are you talking about, because they need to be reported, if in fact that is what they are telling you. I can confirm that the Tyson Corner, VA store, Pentagon City and Clarendon VA store have exchanged 3.0 based phones due to Hardware issues. There is a fairly large developer base here and I have never heard of any issues. Now if the issue is related to software then you are correct.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I just had my glass replaced on my iPhone today and I kept 3.0 on my device. The Genius was surprised because he didn't know how to navigate it but he had no issues with me having it. Really excited to see it, in fact.

19. Untaken macrumors member

LOL, I love reading stuff like this. The "Genius" didn't know how to navigate 3.0 even though the UI is 99% identical to 2.x? No wonder there's so much confusion regarding warranty service on a device with the beta software on it, none of these idiots have any common sense and will just tell people anything.

On another note, it's perfectly understandable that Apple wouldn't replace a device for a software problem if it was on 3.0. They shouldn't be replacing devices on 2.x for software problems either because a restore will fix it (or it's a bug that will need to be corrected in an update).

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The thing is there are some things that could be hardware or software, and if you have a beta OS they can't know for sure.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

He was trying to find settings, which I keep in the same spot as the default, and he kept going to the Spotlight page. It seems that they don't really have a clue as to what they should tell people about 3.0 betas on their phones.

I don't really get the whole "software-necessitating-replacement" deal. It's software. It'll be updated or you can restore.