Was about to buy a certain MBP, found the previous MBP for a nice price.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matanlevis, Jun 29, 2009.

1. matanlevis macrumors newbie

I was about to buy the 2.66 15" 4gb ram, 9400m + 9600m gt 256mb, 320GB HDD, MBP. But I saw they have a limited stock for the previous version of the MBP.

The one I listed above is S$3288 (Singapore dollars, in Singapore off course) but the previous version with a 2.4 Processor, 2gb ram, 250gb HDD, has a replaceable battery (the 4 hours battery), 9400m + 9600m gt 256mb, different (slot instead of the SD). This I found for S$2588.

I will be using my MBP for 80% Music Production and 20% Gaming. Can I change the HDD and add ram for the previous version of the MBP ?

Thank in advance.

PS.
    I was willing to pay that much because that was the cheapest model carrying the 9600gt, but if I can add ram to the previous version and the processor is not a big difference from the 2.66 of the new one, then I should get this right ?

Thanks again.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you are going to be getting a previous version, go for the early '08 model. You can get a matte screen and a longer battery life for even cheaper. (You might need to purchase from another person off eBay)

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yes, changing the ram and HD is the prior uMBP is very simple.

Cheers,

4. matanlevis thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to pick it up from the retail store, don't want to go through ebay

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

They are talking about Apple's refurbs, you can have one overnight for $27 shipping if you're in the US.

Cheers,

6. matanlevis thread starter macrumors newbie

Im in Singapore right now, which is why I want to pick one up from the store. Thanks though. So from those 2 choices which would you go for price-wise ?

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

You'll also be getting a nvidia 8600 video card that has a horrifically high failure rate! (See 'are all owners of the nvidia 8600 card screwed?' post in this forum.)

You'll also get a model that is substantially harder to change the hard drive.

Matte screen is nice, don't get me wrong, but possibly watching it malfunction and standing in line at the genius bar is NOT worth it!

8. matanlevis thread starter macrumors newbie

Just what I was thinking scrolling through the forum threads. Thanks for the warning and I've heared lots about it too. I think I'll just go for the 15" 2.66, June 2009 MBP model. What do you guys think ? can it handle medium settings gameplay and hard music creation/production ?