Was About to buy a New MB Pro For Audio Then I Read This...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ptjh, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ptjh macrumors regular

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Sounds like a problem with inefficient software. No real fix until NI sort their act out.

I wonder if BootCamp and running windows would help in the mean time. I haven't read the full thread you linked to. So if this has been addressed I apologise.

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Are you using Native Instruments plug-ins?
    If not I wouldn't worry about it.

4. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Part of the reason I need a new laptop is because my vaio (one core 1.7) is not capable of running many NI and Arturia plugins properly. I need the maxium audio performance from my new laptop for DJing and producing.

5. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Is this problem due to the OS - If I downgraded to the previous version of OS (If this is possible would it be ok? Anyone else use NI plugins and get good results - if so what Os version do you use?

6. bitesize macrumors member

Unfortunately, I think you can't go below 10.5.5 with the new Macbook Pros, since I'm assuming Apple included the drivers for the new chipsets and trackpads and whatnot into 10.5.5.

7. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Are we certain this is an OSX issue then - not hardware performance? Is anyone using osx 10.5.5 successfully with logic / ableton / NI / Traktor / Arturia plugins ect?

8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Well there were certainly changes to Core Audio in 10.5.2. For me it was for the better, my Apogee Duet stopped causing kernel panics when I would hot connect it in. Aside from that I only use Garage Band for light home recording, so nothing else that's obvious is affected.

Sounds like the core audio changes though either affected backwards compatibility or introduced performance bugs for 3rd party vendors. If the former then it's up to the vendors to improve their plugins.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler