Was about to buy iPod Touch at £149.00..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EvanLugh, Apr 6, 2008.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Very cheap might I add, £40-50 better than Apple themselves.
    So I got in the car and knew I had a 30 minute drive in front of me. I thought I would phone them just incase it's a wasted journey (After 3 months I decided I may as well buy one, so was very excited).

Phoned up, - all sold out! :mad:
    Not happy one bit, the price is amazing and I've bookmarked around 100 links for apps, hacks and cracks etc and I might have to wait another week.
    If they keep the price low though, i'll still be happy.

Nb: 16gb is also £40/50 cheaper!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

PC World - there is an error on their site. Click for one 8GB Touch, will take you to one page saying £199, and the other £149 I think it was. They said it was a mistake but if i had proof (i printed it out) they are by law committed to sell it to me at that price.
    :)

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

a while ago, there was a mac mall ad in maclife, they offered an ipod touch 16GB for $344! If they have to hold up to that, I can scan it for you guys and you can use it.

5. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Would be a good idea, certainly in the UK by law they must provide services and or products that they advertise, at the advertised price.
    :)

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

only $5 a piece, come and get it! ;)

actually, now that I think about it, I emailed them asking if I could get that price and they never got back to me :mad:

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Really I thought they could just refuse to sell it to you.

8. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Nope, if they try to ignore you, kick you out or whatever, slightly hint "Trading Standards" And you'll get it for the price advertised. They have a duty to supply the consumer with valid information, if they aren't providing this information then they are not a reputable company and not abiding by law (which speaks for itself.)

Now i can't wait until Tues (I'd rather get it cheaper than nip up to KRCS.)

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

well in that case I'll go grab the magazine and scan it :cool:

10. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I can't speak for US law but certainly give it a try. You never get if you don't ask. ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Similar thing happened to my parents just this morning. They drove off to Ikea, saw some shelves they wanted but there was no price sticker on it. Collared some guy and asked to put a sticker on. Usual price was £50 but he marked it up as £7. Worked too!

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, that was back in October. Or at least it was in the Macworld magazine. They (macmall) refused to honor it.

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

oh, too bad

15. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

OK, the following is as told to me by a friend who knows his onions, so don't shoot the messenger...

I am told by someone who works in retail that if a store wants to sell an item that was wrongly priced instore there and then, they have to honour the price, but they are also entitled to remove the product from sale for 24 hours and then return it to the shelves at whatever price they like.

And expect them to open up a whole load of stuff about how web prices mean nothing instore, too.

16. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

You're right; kinda.
    I'm pretty sure that in the US it's very different from the UK unfortunately. Any business withholds the right to refuse service to anyone. I wish that the US was like the UK in that manner. I would be able to get a MacBook Pro for $1699 from Apple!

17. toto901 macrumors newbie

rates of dollers r changing day by dar so its based on doller ratehttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    :D

18. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Not really. Not according to Apples prices.

And to the messenger:
    You're part right, albeit should the store have online POS (point of sale) and allows the consumer to pick it up in store, which it does, inevitably results in my original statement.
    Going to go in today, will see if they have any. :rolleyes:

19. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This is simply not true. Buying something relies on the law of contract, and a contract is not formed until A) You hand over xx money for xx products and, critically, B) the retailer agrees to accept that amount of money for xx products/services etc. Online retailers often push it further and state that until the goods are shipped (and hence your card is debited), no contract exists.

It is however a highly perpetuated myth in the UK, so I'm not surprised you've been told it is true. I certainly wouldn't bank on ignorance of shop staff however, they might not know but I'm sure every store manager in the country has had this dropped into their training.

edit: Forgot, also, case law states that if a consumer understands the price is a mistake (like printing it out and starting a thread on it...!!), they cannot in any way insist that the price is upheld.

AppleMatt

(The one case where it did work however was a guy who managed to get BT to lay something ridiculous like £10m worth of cable to his house on a remote island somewhere, or so I'm told)

20. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Unless the law has changed recently, no. If you take it to the till and it rings up at £149 then fair enough, if it rings up at £199 then don't even bother arguing, because they won't give it to you.

21. ramases macrumors member

They may have corrected the 8Gb price back to 199gpb, but the 16Gb Touch is listed at 229 gbp inc free shipping (saving 40gbp) off Apple. So I've just ordered one for my wife! Here's hoping they honour the transaction