Was anyone else hoping for an OS X version of tvOS?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Auszero, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Auszero macrumors member

I have a couple Macs, one of which is a Mini that I use as a server and HTPC. I run Plex in the background, XBMC as my user interface then iTunes to host my songs via Match. I thought that tvOS was pretty cool but at no point saw myself buying another device. The Siri integration and remote seemed cool too. The entire time I was hoping they would announce an OS X version. A new Front Row if you will. I realize that most people don't use computers to stream these days but it still seems like an exploitable market segment. Especially with the controller being Bluetooth and the games side of things. Does anyone else share my sentiments or am I alone here?

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Oh I used to love Front Row. I could see myself using something like that. At the very least, I hope they release whatever streaming service they have in the works for OS X, because I'd probably end up using it on my laptop more than any other device besides my Apple TV.

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sorry, but no way.
    The cornerstone of ATV is content
    The cornerstone of ATV content is security
    A Mac implementation would make content recording way to easy
    Apple can't risk loosing the contracts they've spent years cultivating

But, yes, I'd love it too!

4. Auszero thread starter macrumors member

But what content is exclusive to AppleTV that you can't watch on your computer? HBO Go? Netflix? Hulu?