Was I being a jerk or was she?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

A new landlord running under low income housing bought the apartment building I currently live in, as of December 1st. The manager came by my suite today and asked if she could do an inspection and I refused. Here's how it went down.

Landlord Manager: Excuse me, may I inspect your suite?

Me: No.

Landlord Manager: No?

Landlord Manager: No? Well ok I'll come back later.

-----------

No I know she did not have a legal right to enter my suite without giving me 24 hours written notice with a reason to why she was inspecting, so was I a jerk or was she?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You should have been "No, but you may tomorrow after I have had some notice" or something along those lines

Being rude to the landlord, as you were, will not do you any favors if you ever need work done and whatnot...just saying

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Meh, it's now government owned housing so they would have to fix any problems.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You are missing the point

Being on good terms will lead to good will on their end if you ever need their help. If they don't like you, they can most certainly give you more headache than you anticipate

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

From what I hear she doesn't like anyone.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you handled it poorly. I would of said "if you like you could come back tomorrow and it would be fine"

That answer should be enough to keep the landlord happy and chances are would just write it off to you have some personal stuff you wanted to pick up.

Chances are she was just doing a first look over of the property to see what condition it was in and any problems.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ugh never-mind. I'll leave it to yourself to learn the good little nuances in life.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So my question is then why she didn't just say i'll be back later and kept asking me in a sarcastic way no, she is the manager and knows that she is supposed to give written notice.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Maybe she could answer that question

But my guess is most people would either
    1) Be accommodating
    2) Politely say no and suggest when they could come back

Your response was neither

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Perfectly acceptable. I have never lived anyplace where it was not the law that a landlord must give 24 hours notice before entering your apartment unless there is an emergency repair (e.g. a broken pipe). As with police searches, you may, of course, freely volunteer. It sounds as if your landlord was testing how pliable you are, whether you can be cowed into "volunteering" on demand. A lot of people can. As long as you are willing to scrupulously follow your side of the rules (always pay your rent on time!), there is nothing wrong with holding her to hers.

11. waloshin, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Exactly, she was trying to see what she can get away with. As she was going around checking out everyone's apartment suite today in the same fashion and I am sure 90% gave in. How hard would it be for her to print off a form stating that she will be doing an inspection? Seriously.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You wanted a warrant? All she owed you was 24 hours notice. It is after all, her property.

I'm with dukebound. You just say, "Can you come back tomorrow?"

You don't have to be a jerk to exercise your rights.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Printing off a letter giving what is usually the standard 24 hour notice is in no way similar to a warrant. A warrant is signed by a judge, this is a word doc printed on an ink jet. :rolleyes:

However, Waloshin, you should have expressed that you wanted 24 hours notice. You should familiarize yourself with a little thing called renter's rights and landlord's responsibilities. The more educated you become on your "rights" as a renter the easier your rental life will be.

You were a jerk, she tried to inspect and right away you were likely harsh towards her. In return, she was harsh towards you. Call the company, landlord, whatever, and tell them you'll be happy to allow them to view the apartment but you need 24 hours written notice and you'd like to know the purpose of the inspection. You should also tell them you'll talk about them on MacRumors if they're not careful.

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Except for the fact that I can't see insisting on notice in writing unless required by law, I'm still moved to stand by waloshin on this one. She knew her responsibilities but pushed anyway. It sounds as if waloshin is also well aware of his rights, and he stood up for himself. As "polite" as it might have seemed in most situations, apologizing, explaining himself or proactively offering a compromise would all have been an act of submission to an obvious power play.

I have had landlords like this in the past, and also outstanding ones. My current landlord I probably would let into my apartment on short notice, because we have built up a good relationship. The bad ones are the sort the rules are made for, and the best way I have found to deal with them is strict observance on all sides.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wally, what are you hiding in your rental apartment?

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

To answer the question "was I being a Jerk or was she?"

The Answer ...you were being a Jerk ... She was going around asking people for a quick look inside the units because the "normal" folks would say yes.

Then she would only have to hand out a few written notices ... to the people in the building that act like Jerks. :cool:

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I can understand you wanting to exercise your right to 24 hours notice, but what was the real point of the exchange? Were you in the middle of something? Was her inspection right then going to be more disruptive than her inspection the next day?

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Remove anything that would raise suspicion of any kind of elicit activity even if it is not outlined on your lease agreement as a reason to terminate your lease. Many apartment managers are trained to look for things that can raise concerns for such things as drug activity, criminal activity, or public health hazards.

Such an example would be locks on interior doors (other than the bathroom), large amounts of improperly stored chemicals which may violate health and safety of other tennants, excessive clutter which indicates patterns of hording which may be unlawful in some jurisdictions as it is considered an attraction to vermin, they can even check your electrical meter outside the building to monitor power consumption or to see if it has been tampered with in any way all things giving indicators that there is a possibility of a drug issue according to their training.

If your apartment looks like a pawn shop when they walk in (such as having stacks of unused gadgets set aside in a corner, extra dvd players, computer cases, etc) it throws up red flags as well it could possible just indicate a hording tendency or be a tip off that stolen goods are being stored on the premises. Any property manager that ignores these issues can be held liable for the tenants actions so even the least significant things as they seem to a renter are tipped off to the authorities by property management a lot of the time as per local regulations whether or not entered into a rental agreement contract.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Really? A landlord can't just print out legal warrants from their inkjet?

I had no idea! :eek:

(Sorry I forgot to include a :rolleyes: on my previous post. The notion that it constituted a warrant was so ridiculous that I didn't think I needed one. I see that I was wrong.)

Oh, now you're talking like a republican. Heaven forbid Waloshin display a little politeness and risk coming off like a surrender-monkey appeaser. :rolleyes:

21. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

As previously stated before she doesn't own the place it is now Government owned.

And in my area there is a Tentant act that states that a landlord must give 24 hours notice in writing stating why their inspecting and what time. Otherwise she is breaking the law.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

After reading the thread title, I recoiled in horror at the thought of you engaging a female in a relationship situation and the shock waves that would ensue on this forum.

I was relieved to say the least when I read the OP.

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

Having dealt with terrible landlords, THIS is a HUGE thing.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I have a couple of ideas, but I've learned not to ask questions when I'm not prepared for the answer. ;)

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes... and the best way to deal with this is to politely defer her request with "Oh, I was just on my way out, but tomorrow would be fine," or something like that.

You weren't being a huge jerk. At least you didn't tell her to eff-off.