Was I supposed to get Applecare paperwork of some kind?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teiresias, Oct 24, 2007.

1. teiresias macrumors regular

So I ordered my iMac along with Applecare, and I've gotten the iMac, but the only sign that I've bought the Applecare is the invoice that was emailed to me and the fact that it shows up in my order under my apple account along with the iMac.

Was I suppose to have been sent some other form of proof that I've got an Applecare plan? Seems a bit odd.

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

3. dasmb macrumors regular

Never having ordered a machine with AppleCare at the same time, I can't say for sure.

However, when you order AppleCare after market, all you get is a number and a link to a website. Apple maintains a database of machines and the level of service they maintain -- when you take the machine in, they'll put in your SN in their computer and know when your care expires.

To double check, you can go here http://www.apple.com/support/imac/intel/ and enter your SN in the section marked "About Your Support Coverage."

Incidentally, the reason I never order a machine with AppleCare is that you don't have to -- you have up to a year to sign up for it, and you don't need to get it from Apple. Sources ranging from LA Computer Company to reputable eBay sellers will sell you the exact same AppleCare plan for way less than Apple's price -- I paid $225 for a $350 service plan. Used it a couple of time already (new battery, new power supply, new shift key).

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

if you order apple care at purchase it auto registers and shows up under your Apple ID registered machines with Apple Care. The paper work comes separately by mail.