Was I the only one hoping for custom SMS sounds in 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3.0 look a-freakin-mazing. It's like a dream come true. It has almost everything I ever wanted my iPhone to do... except for one thing. Change the SMS tones Apple! I got so sick of them already... or simply allow us to use any of our ringtones as an SMS tone (this way they could keep it simple in iTunes and then just allow the user to pick the tone they want on the iPhone). I was hoping for the ability to use new SMS sounds... am I alone here?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think custom would be taking it too far with Apple.

Even though it's not in the beta, I see additional tones being added for the final release. That's just my opinion though.

3. m477h3w macrumors 6502

In the words of Michael Jackson, 'You are not alone'! I keep coming very close to jailbreaking my phone, just to put custom SMS tones on! 3.0 looks amazing as you say, we can't have everything :p

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I agree, I would have loved more... They could still, it's still in beta... But I'll be happy with MMS and Forwarding... Beggars can't be choosers

5. Pared macrumors 65816

No you're not alone. Just another wonderful caveat of jailbreaking at this point.

6. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

Yeah, I wish we could get that as well. Although, with the "over 100 features" that they mentioned, it could very well be one of them.

I wonder which website will count how many features have already been found and how many are still missing...

7. Vaco Deus macrumors member

I would love to have my own SMS tones.

Don't see why they don't allow it

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm sure we'll see this in an update for the beta. This release obviously hasn't even put a scratch in the "100+ new features" that Apple has announced.

Are the updates for the beta released the same way as the standard updates? Or is there something different that needs to be done?

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I would rather have custom email tones.

Having three iPhones in the house because comical when that message tone goes off.

At least with the SMS tones that you can change, we all have different ones.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Agreed. While on 2.2.1 I had mine jailbroken with the Blackberry sonar alert (which to this day is still the greatest alert tone, IMO) because at night when we're all sitting watching TV/movies, we all have our phones sitting on the coffee table in the middle of the couches. As you said, quite comical.

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You expect Apple to give you absolutely everything right now? :D

There was a time when I thought MMS would never be added, as I didn't think Apple were bothered about it, but they added it eventually.
    I'm sure custom message/sms/calendar/ tones are on their way, along with homescreen wallpapers, as soon as Apple has 3.0 out of the way.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

personally, Im always on vibrate so this wasn't a big concern for me
    I did, however, want to see a revamped notification system
    I know its probably copyrighted, but Im absolutely in love with how webOS handles notifications

13. pyth macrumors member

I've got a question:

Has anyone been wanting SMS to simply buzz instead of requiring a tone? I like having a ringtone, but I hate having an SMS tone. Apple doesn't seem to think that some people don't want an SMS tone.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Haha I agree with that. Every night at dinner, my dad and I ask who's iPhone just got an email. :p

I miss that sound so much. C'mon Apple, PLEASE let us choose our SMS sound.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm right with you on this one; in fact, I sent this suggestion to Apple as soon as I got my iphone and noticed that this wasn't an option. Basically they need to give users the option to have the phone vibrate only, vibrate and make a sound or just make a sound upon receiving an SMS regardless of whether or not the phone is on vibrate. I've never understood the logic behind not giving users multiple options - it just doesn't make sense to me.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

17. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

yes I would like the OPTION for more than the defaults. you'd think... smh.