Was it worth to buy macbook aluminum Core 2 Duo 2 GHz - 13.3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrgeek, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mrgeek macrumors member

I really love to buy macbook pro instead but my budget stop me there, but this laptop so far works perfectly and Its way better than the white version. Is it possible to upgrade? I am really into techs but please give me your opinion all you macworld out there. What is the difference between macbook and macbook pro besides the firewires and backlit keyboards which I don't care for that features.I care about processors speed and hard drive storage plus memory sizes. Does in here own aluminum macbook?

2. zbasarab macrumors member

I have the same computer as you and I am really happy with it. Like you said, our macbook is the exact same as the Macbook Pros, except we are missing firewire and backlit keyboard.

And as with all macs, you can upgrade ram and hard drive.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Dang, cogitive dissonance strikes again!

You'll get many people that say the 13" MBP has many advantages over the 2Ghz MB, and I agree with those people. That being said, you have a mac, and I'm sure if you had never looked at this site, you'd be completely happy with your purchase.

So, in my opinion, I think the MBP has many essential improvements, but honestly, just be happy with what you have. It's still worlds better than a PC, so enjoy it, and stop reading this site. It's not good for any of us...

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah a lot people here have the unibody MacBooks, they are nice machines. Like others mentioned the only thing you can upgrade is the RAM and hard drive.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Well, the base 13" mbp's processor is .26 ghz faster (which unless you're spending your days encoding movies with handbrake you wouldn't be able to tell the difference), the ability to take 8 gigs of ram instead of maybe 6 (which may make a difference in two or three years if you keep the machine that long) and, oh yeah, the sd card slot.:rolleyes:

The biggest complaint about the shiny macbooks, besides lack of firewire, was some of the screens on the first release models, from October 08 to January 09. Members of the tech press, as well as some of their owners, were dissatisfied with the viewing angles and contrast ratios (ability to adequately display and differentiate blacks and other dark colors) of some of the screens.
    The worst of these screens were the 9C89's. (OTOH, I find my 9C88 to be acceptable.) Recently, a few macbook owners reported improved display qualities with SL changing the gamma setting to 2.2 from 1.8. Apple did a stealth update in the first quarter of 09 by putting in better quality displays that were a significant improvement over the earlier ones.

And before you wonder "Gee, do I have one of these 9C89's?", let me say that I had one, and found it to be horrid. If you're not complaining about it, you probably don't have one.

One advantage the uni MB has over it's younger brother is the ability to take any 2.5" sata notebook drive. 13" mbp owners have reported problems with their machines after updating to 7200 rpm and/or solid state drives, and apple officially does not support any 3rd party drive on them.

6. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I've not heard any complaints other than with the Free Fall Sensors. Is there a more general problem with other hard drives? I am looking to get a 13" MBP and upgrading the HDD so would be good to know.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Buyers remorse. Trust me, when I first got my Mac Mini, I always thought to myself why didn't I get an iMac or a faster Mac Mini. I thought again and said to myself that there absolutely nothing wrong with my current computer and I don't need a faster one. So if you truly, (and I mean truly) want the MBP, then get. I see no reason why you would get a new computer if your current one does everything you need it to do.

9. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Be happy with your Macbook aluminum. My 2Ghz uMB was replaced by the 2.26 13" MBP through Apple warranty, and I can assure you that the difference is negligible. I have not noticed any performance difference on the MBP, as both have 2GB of DDR3 memory and a 160GB HDD.
    The only noticeable difference is the improved screen. However, if you're already happy with your current screen, you shouldn't have to worry about upgrading.

10. mrgeek thread starter macrumors member

Did you broke it or just want the MBP? I really can't afford MBP but so far I love this one and will upgrade my memory and hard drive. Why can't I upgrade my processor to 2.4 ghz? I don't care about screen or keyboard backlit. My firewire is back by my white mb.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Unless you need firewire- which you said you didn't, or an SD card, I wouldn't say that there is a significant reason to upgrade.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The MB Alu is a great machine, I don't own one, but my brother has one, lucky the one with the best screen (as several mentioned, there are atleast 3 screens available on them).

The only "problem" with the alu MB is that it doesn't have firewire.
    (For many users that's hardly a problem)

13. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'm very happy with mine. I would rather have firewire but I don't really need it. But I got the 2.4GHz model because I really wanted the backlit keyboard. I have the 9C8C screen and it seems fine to me. All in all this will do what I want until I'm ready for a next generation purchase.

I'm just trying to decide whether to move it from Leopard to Snow Leopard, but that's another discussion. ;)

14. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I bought my wife a 13" MBP a few months ago. She loves it. But like everyone else says, if you don't need firewire and/or backlit keyboard, you'd spend less getting a refurbished MB.

15. drossad macrumors regular

Be happy with what you have.
    Upgrade it in a year or two. Technology will be even better by then.