Was my iPad hacked...or is this just some issue I shouldn't care about

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whatupwiththat, Aug 15, 2011.

1. whatupwiththat macrumors newbie

So I was browsing the web on Atomic Web Browser on the iPad. I came across a video on the web and decided to play it. I've been to this site before and I know that the video player isn't the type that's integrated into the iPad. It's some other HTML5 type player.

That said, when I clicked play, the screen went black, I saw a spinning icon that shows when the iPad is booting up, then I saw the apple logo in the middle, then everything was back up to normal (though the browser was closed).

It definitely didn't -- it took way too quick for that to happen. And this is why it's so weird. The screens I see if the battery dies or the iPad resets itself for some reason showed...only it flashed so quickly. I've never seen that happen.

I tried this a few times and the same thing happened each time I clicked on the vid.

Thoughts on what did happen? I recently read about how the iPad may be vulnerable to some attacks (although with downloading a pdf)...any chance I was hacked when the screen went black?

I checked my outgoing mail, tried to check other things and there is no evidence that something happened. Thought it was a bit weird though.

Final note: This is iPad 1 and it's not jailbroken.

2. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

I think you just came across a website that's using a HTML5 feature which does not work properly in iPad's browser and forces the device to reboot. I've seen similar things early in the days... You can report the issue to Apple. Also, you can update iPad OS to the latest (may not be a good idea though - new OS updates may not be compatible with older devices), or just avoid that website.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

It's a nothing thing....You need to avoid that site though...As posted above.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

What firmware are you running? If you are not on 4.3.5, and you don't have a desire to jailbreak, why not just update. Updating reinstalls the OS and would therefore purge any potential security problems (I'm not saying there was anything malicious though). If you are on the latest firmware then consider it just a bug.