Was Sicko funny?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wonga1127, Jul 12, 2007.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I don't know if anyone else has seen the Sicko commercials that spin the movie as "funny" and "hilarious". I didn't really find any part of the movie funny. What gives? Is this something that Big Pharma paid the networks to air? Because Sicko is apparently "Michael Moore's funniest movie to date!".

Has anyone else seen these?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I saw a preview of it weeks ago, and yeah- there was definitely humor involved. Thank God, because the subject matter was depressing. I thought the humor was very effective at keeping you involved, while also making points.

3. wonga1127 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I just don't remember laughing that much. It definitely wasn't the funniest movie of the year.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I saw it 2 days ago and thought the only thing funny was the absurdity of the U.S. "Health-Care System".

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

He says that Cuba is a better place for medical care. Even the WHO slammed that one. I find that to be hilarious.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He never once said Cuba was a better place for medical care. What he DID say was that even Cuba, CUBA, has free medical care for its citizens. Him including Cuba in the movie was meant as a slam against the US healthcare system, not a boost for Cuba.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you never saw the movie, but instead you're just regurgitating right-wing talking points about the movie.

I'll send the movie to you, no cost to you (and Michael Moore himself has said he has no problem with people downloading his movies if they are using them to share and enlighten others) so you can see it. Don't need to pay for a ticket, don't need to find a show time that works for you. PM me your address if you're interested; I'll send it off in the mail that day. But something is telling me you already decided to hate the movie, so nothing anybody says will change your opinion (which is based off of talking points).

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Just because he misheard/misinterpreted what was said in the movie, doesn't mean he didn't watch it, or is here to troll. Take a pill and chill.

Well I have always had a problem with Michael Moore movies, particularly Bowling for Columbine. Lots of truths with a lot of exaggeration to make those points. And yes, I did laugh during parts of his other movies. But I've never seen Sicko. Not yet. I'm probably going to laugh at parts of Sicko as well. ;)

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

1. I have heard his statement many times before said by right-wingers and printed in right-wing press here in Arizona. It isn't a unique statement dswoodley said, and I'm assuming he is parroting it.

2. Sicko is entirely different from Moore's other films. He makes no outlandish statements or exaggerations to make his points in this movie. Nobody has been able to point out any such lies or exaggerations without lying about the content of the movie itself, like dswoodley did.

You need to see Sicko. You will be pleasantly surprised; it is Moore's best, by far.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

No, but most people in Sicko are not entirely typical of the average person in the US (except maybe the yeastie woman...).

What Sicko portrays well is just how awful this system is and for that he cannot be criticized. He does a good job indeed.

I had to cry a bit when I saw it, because it was so frustrating. I laughed at some bits too...the cashier at the NHS hospital...the laundry at the end.

And well, that $10,000 check to Lee of moorewatch.com, that..I don't know what to say to that (other than the obvious of it being partially a publicity stunt).

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I saw the trailer, and it did indeed look funny, but I'm still reluctant to see it.

I try to do my best to stay away from biased sources, but unfortunately, that seems to be impossible when it comes to politics. :eek: :(

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just go see it. It isn't biased, and Moore doesn't pick sides with politics. He even criticizes Hillary Clinton. It is just a presentation of the facts.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your view seems more (positively) biased towards this movie than even Moore himself. ;)

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

My point was he uses absurd arguments. Suggesting what passes for "health care" in Cuba for the vast majority of the Cuban population as being worthy of the name health care is dare I say it disingenuous in the extreme. If you are familiar with any of postings, you'd know I am just as critical of the US care system as anyone. But that's no excuse for Michael Moore's claptrap. Right-wing talking points? That suggests critics of his logic need an organized defense - hardly the case.

Edit: changed the reference to my family - hehehe

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Yes, the Cuban healthcare system is terrible. But they still get it for free, and they get their medication practically free. Meanwhile, the US, who ranks only two spots above Cuba on the WHO list, has terrible healthcare system that puts families into debt, denies care for those who need it, and charges an arm and a leg for medicine.

Explain how that is an absurd statement please, because the only thing I find absurd about it is that the nation that prides itself on being the best in the world doesn't care about those that live in it.

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Look at the premise of what you just said. The Cuban system is terrible, but they get it for free. I guess they get what you pay for. Using Cuba as an example of how things should be done is silly. Do I support the current US system? Hell no. Should we be ashamed because Cuba offers terrible services for free? Hell no.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm not using Cuba as an example of how things should be done at all. What I was saying that the Cuban system is just as terrible as the US, but at least they don't have to pay for it, or lose their houses for it. Am I saying that means that it doesn't need fixing? No. Both Cuba and the US need to fix their systems.

If I was using any system as an example of how things should be done, it would be the French.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Ok, lets agree, Cuba is not an example of how to do things (but it isn't really free - somebody pays for it), and the US systems sucks? deal? I think in a different thread, Ugg gave the German example, which looks fascinating too.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't know, the German approach is definitely a step in the right direction, but I believe that healthcare should be something that is available to everyone, regardless of your income or job, just as the police department, fire department, libraries, and public schools are.