Was the iPhone 3G really this slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ericg301, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

My toddler has shown a keen interest in our iPhones, and knows how to play her music and launch her own games.

So I pulled out an old iPhone 3G that hasn't been touched since I got my iPhone 4 on launch day. Put it on airplane mode. Loaded it up just for her. Toddler games, music, elmo videos.

Damn, that thing is slow. Was it always like that? I can't believe I suffered through that for 2 years. (I did update the OS to 4.something, whatever the latest version is for 3G). Or did the iPhone 4 raise the bar so much that the 3G just feels slow...

Even my daughter got impatient. A game that launches almost instantly on my phone takes a good 8-10 seconds to launch of the 3G.

So another question...whenever the next iPhone comes out, will the 4 feel super slow 2 years later?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

When the ios 4 came out, the performance was affected with the 3G users who installed ios 4. If the 3G is still at ios 3.1.3, then it should be fine.

I believe only reason why you experience that iphone 3G is slow is probably because your used to using the 4. This happened to me when I was using a 4 at the time, the 3G was slow when I compared it. Same thing when I used the 4S, the iPhone 4 slowed a little bit but not very noticeable.

Depending on what the next iOS will be, it may or may not affect the performance of the iPhone 4 because of the A4 chip.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It was acceptable back when OS2.0 was around; after that it was far too slow IMO.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It basically has the same internals as the first iPhone. So you're talking about technology from 2007. Yeah, these little things really have improved a lot over the last 5 years!

6. ericg301 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But what amazes me is that I don't remember the 3G ever feeling slow.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I specifically remember upgrading from a 3G to a 4 and thinking WOW the instant I touched it.

So this not something where your phone got slower over time or because of an OS upgrade. No, they really were much slower even with their preferred OS.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I believe you should be able to divert back to 3.1.3 on the 3G. Should make it a little faster.