Was there a lot of complaining going from Panther to Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ksgant, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Just wondering how the complaining when the first week or so from going to Tiger from Panther. Seems to be a lot of people complaining about Leopard.

Not saying they're not justified, I'm just looking to see what it was like back in the Panther days.

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I do remember a lot of comments like:

"Dashboard? Spotlight? Eh, I'll stick with my rock-solid Panther, thanks."

"Ahhh!!! 10.4.0 sucks! It borked my install! Data loss! Argh!"

etc.

The tech issues happen regardless of the version, they just happen more frequently during a major OS release because a far greater number of people are installing it at the same time than under normal circumstances. I think, over time, people will grow to appreciate Leopard's additional polish, and additional features.

3. Queso macrumors G4

From what I've heard so far Tiger to Leopard is far smoother than Panther to Tiger was. Tiger replaced the OSX kernel and all sorts of APIs and subsystems. Loads of software just broke. In comparison Leopard seems to be smooth sailing.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

People have bitched about every 10.x.late-x to 10.new-x.0 upgrade, from Jaguar on. It's, like, the Mac community's favorite perennial team sport (well, not quite that often). :rolleyes:

5. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I think that Mac users love to complain- consider problems that most users have when upgrading from XP --> Vista (some people are actually downgrading!). Clearly, we are spoiled... the upgrade can't possibly be perfect for everyone, but the end result will be a faster, more capable Mac OS. If you are worried about upgrading problems, wait for 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

As for myself, I will upgrade Monday afternoon once I pick it up from my University book store... a few bumps in the road wont bother me.

6. Whoshnot macrumors member

People always complain here, you better get used to it...

But seriously now, I remember that a lot of the complaints were certainly justified when going from Panther to Tiger, since the released version was kinda buggy at first (though later updates fixed most of the problems).

I am hearing a lot problems now from people with blue screens (I thought this was a windows "feature" only? Though maybe that's what you get when including bootcamp :rolleyes: )
    I haven't got a problem at all when upgrading my mac though. Some Apps don't work, but those problems will probably be solved by future updates. The OS itself is very stable IMHO. Works like a charm! :)

7. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Two switches that everybody had numerous complaints about were:

1. System 7 to Mac OS 8 (software developers needed to catch up).

2. The real biggie for backwards compatibility was OS9 to OSX (almost no backwards compatibility, except running Classic mode which was a tremendous RAM/Processor hog)...It was like a visit to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem!

8. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i think the problem here is that apple sold this as a super easy install. plug in the disk and go and the truth is it's not. There is a lot of setup time, indexing an such, that really makes setting this up take a day or so before you see the full advantage of it.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think people just need to get used to the new UI. Give it about 2 weeks

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What complaining?
    This is known as a normal day on the MacRumor boards IMO ;)

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

And over in the Leopard threads there are graybeards STILL complaining now that Classic has (finally) been put in the grave, for real this time. Honestly guys, you've had six years. That's an eternity. Get with the program.

12. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Absolutely...Whatever problems arose from the Classic to OSX switch should have been written off in the name of progress years ago! The benefits so far outweigh the negatives that those of us that saw the shape of things to come just sucked it up, plunked down the cash for the new software and hardware and moved on, with the stodgy holdouts complaining all the way...

Eventually whole industries (print web design, film output houses, etc) switched over once the first 10.1 updates came out and OSX was fairly stable and software companies like Adobe came out with their first gen OSX apps finally giving us an alternative to Quark! Now THAT was progress...

Oh well, all that is lost in the mists of time now...The jump from Tiger to Leopard to me really is a minor one and pretty pain free at that.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

People like to complain about complainers, but from the factual info I have read today (apps that I use not working) I'm going to wait until 10.5.1 or at least updates from some apps...

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple users are just a bunch of whiney complainers.

One could easily think that given this forum lately.

15. sSNAKEs9 macrumors newbie

It appears that many on this board don't like Leopard...but notice I said appear. I think that over the next few weeks most people will come to like this OS. I think it's a big step in the right direction...it feels like Apple put a lot of time and work into this one. It works great, looks great, runs great...I'm happy :)

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You guys! I figured out how to get the GRAY menu bar!

Open Quartz Debug and Disable Quartz Extreme. That's all it is. The Macs you are running Leopard on do not use Quartz Extreme.

And.... you're welcome.

17. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

So far Leopard seems to be producing A LOT more happier mac users than Tiger transition did. If I remember right Tiger was buggy in the very beginning and other than widgets (which a lot of people didn't care for) it was just a so-so release, with nothing significant added to it that wowed anyone. Many people also claimed it was much slower running than Panther was (and I agree 100% to that statement). I remember in forums everyone was saying how they were going back to Panther and skip over Tiger completely. Uh..right... I wonder how many of those people stuck to their words.

So yeah, it's still early, but early feedback seems positive so far on Leopard. But give it a week...heck give it another day and we'll see :)

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

for shizzle (me 2) ;)

19. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Care to elaborate?

My understanding is QE palms off the 2D rendering to the graphics card, not the GPU.

So disabling it surely means putting load on your CPU which your GPU could do and potentially slowing down the system?

Have I gone wrong somewhere.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think you're correct. I'm just saying that turning off Quartz Extreme makes the menu bar that gray color that some people are getting by default and it's because their hardware doesn't support Quartz Extreme. That's all. I'm not saying for people to go and turn that option off.

21. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Honestly... Leopard has been a far better upgrade than Tiger. The night I installed Tiger, none of my third party apps worked. It was weeks to get it straightened out. I'm completely back and using the OS. Now if my backup would finish... that's be nice. 24/320 gig. Ouch.

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep there was plenty of complaining, and lots of "no ilife?" comments :)

23. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Generally people start being (mostly) universally satisfied with a new version of OSX around the second revision (so in this case, when the update for 10.5.2 comes out). A new OS is ALWAYS going to have some issues, as it is impossible to test for everything--being an early adopter is sort of one step above being a beta tester.

But yeah, every leap has had pluses and minuses. There are still aspects of Panther I miss (and I'm still in the "ungh, Spotlight" camp, I miss the simple find option of Panther and previous and I am yet to find a practical need for widgets), but the performance improvements on Tiger, though not as big a jump as from Jaguar to Panther, were enough to sell me on it. Still waiting to hear about how much better Leopard performs on G5s, but it'll probably take me a while to adopt it as I use several Classic apps, so I'm not eager to abandon the platform.

But yeah. Every new jump in an OS has an adapting period where the users get used to it and the developers iron out the bugs (both on the OS side and the third part software side). I think it's cool that people are excited to try it out, but I usually wait until I know it's worth it myself.

24. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Understandable, but keep in mind that this community is mostly used to get help with problems. So for every one user who has an issue (and will complain about or ask help for), there are scores of users who are perfectly happy. It's pretty rare to post just to say "Yay, stuff!", as there's not a lot of use for that...

25. Steve Works macrumors newbie

not only the mac user....every user loves to complain! The only difference is Windows users are right when they complain! lool a friend of mine bought a new toshiba laptop (with vista of course :() and he just picked his XP cd and wiped of vista from the laptop... I mean, you buy a printer and then 6months later it doesn't work with he new OS? OMG.. I just wanna cry... :apple: