Was told my 09/10 27iMac cannot be used as a PC monitor... help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guzardus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. guzardus macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've done a search but I believe my question is fairly unique.

I have a mid 2009-2010 iMac 27" which I want to use as a monitor for my PC (for times when I want to play games).

I went to buy a DVI to mini displayport adapter.

[​IMG]

I plugged a DVI cable into the adapter which plugged into the mac and nothing happened. I tried hitting command+f2, but still no luck

I went to a mac shop and a rep told me that my model doesn't support it.
    he said only newer imacs and more expensive older imacs offered that option.

so I'm puzzled now. is there absolutely no way to use my 27" imac as a PC monitor at all?

help!

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

If they say so there is probably little chance to get that working.

As I studied electronics I think it might be possible but that means opening the iMac and then insert the signal into the board but believe Me, you don't want to do that and it means you have to be both clever with electronics and soldering.

Maybe it would also be possible with a software hack.

Another possibility would be to have an external video converter and then a program which shows you that input.
    But thats just a work around

3. simsaladimbamba

If you have a 27" iMac, it is either a late 2009 model, released in 10/2009 or a mid 2010 model, released in 07/2010 or so. Both models support "Target Display Mode", but only via a pricey adapter (around 100 USD), that converts a DVI or HDMI signal to Mini DisplayPort, the adapter you have will not work for this. If you use the Forum Search, you might find a dozen or tens of dozens of threads about this.

4. DLary macrumors member

Replace the video card in the PC with one of the new ATI video cards that has a mini display port output. This works fine on my 27" iMac. Make sure the card is a 6XXX series, the 5XXX series will not work.

5. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Yeah only late 2009 and mid 2010 support display port target display, you just need a pc with display port (or mini display port) output and the display port to mini display port cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924