Was told not to use Redsnow or ultrasnow... cant remember which HELP

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by incanada, May 9, 2011.

1. incanada macrumors newbie

hey,

went to a cell phone store in canada with my american iphone. its not able to use canadian sim cards. guy said you need to hack it and told me to use pwnagetool. then specifically said to use redsnow or ultrasnow but not the other. i can't remember which.

my iphone has old firmware, 3.1.2

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Use PwnageTool to create a custom firmware which will keep the unlockable baseband intact. Ultrasn0w (in Cydia) will unlock the phone.

3. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

redsnow will not update the baseband......if the OP is on 3.1.2 he has 05.11 for a baseband and a simple run of redsnow then open cydia and install ultrasnow
    ......creating a ipsw thru pwnagetool will force the OP to restore which will erase all their info and really is not needed.

or for that matter blackrain will also work

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh right, because he's not going to update the firmware. I'm so used to people doing that. Redsn0w will definitely be faster.

5. incanada thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the quick responses guys!

not sure what baseband means, but it says 5.11.07 for firmware.

its a 3g too (not sure if that matters).

i jailbroke my old iphone with blackrain. so i can do that again, and after thats done theres an app i can install for ultrasnow?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Baseband is the industry term for what Apple calls the Modem Firmware in Settings > General > About

Blackra1n ought to work. Ultrasn0w is an app in Cydia (will be installed when you jailbreak with redsn0w or blackra1n) that will unlock your 3G.