Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmeverett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
O'Fallon, MO
I washed, meaning it went into my washing machine for a full cycle, my brand new iPhone 6 on December 31, 2014. I did get a new one (with insurance on it) but kept the old, as a reminder to not do that again. Every so often I would hook it up to a charger and see if it would respond.

I found it this afternoon and thought I would try it again. It turned on, but flipped back and forth between the Apple logo and a red screen plus it was getting really hot. I let the battery run out, but then tried it again this evening. It's working, it's charging and now it's updating to IOS 9.0.2.

My 22 year old son now has a mostly new, and very clean, iPhone 6. The back camera has lines running thru any pictures it takes, but so far everything else is working. I will update once we get the sim in and see how the network is.

Reactions: npolly0212

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Hate to be a party pooper. Don't be excited too soon. The phone *could* still suffer from frequent crashes and spontaneous reboots. You won't know until you use it for a while.

Reactions: wlossw

pmeverett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
O'Fallon, MO
I agree silverblack with not partying too much. I had my son switch over his old phone to the new one and he says so far it's working well. He still has his old iPhone 5s also, just in case. To me it is a miracle it is working at all.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A phone completely soaked in a washer machine should be disassembled and completely cleaned ASAP otherwise the electronics inside will be corroded. My warning is that faulty battery connection can result in short circuit and may cause fire.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If it's still under the first year warranty but AppleCare and replace it. Hell, they might even swap it out for $199.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Back in April, my iPhone 5 fell into the kitchen sink, completely submerging in over 4 inches of water. Remarkably, the phone kept working while in the water and immediately afterwards. I immediately switched it off and kept it in a bag of rice. After a week, I turned it back on and it worked without seeming to miss a beat. Now I use that as an iPod in the car. However after a couple of months a pink splotch developed across the display permanently due to water ingress into the screen case. I expect there could be other damage that will become apparent over time.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
After 9 months... I'll bet it's dirty again.

washing-machine-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.