Washington, DC, considering lowering voting age to just 16 years old

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Oh, hail no! Maturity level and education level are much too low at 16. Leave it at 18.

While we're at it, change the drinking and smoking age to 18 as well. If you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to vote and smoke and drink.

2. 0007776 Suspended

I would be hesitant to be for this since there is a large difference in maturity between those ages. That said a lot of 16 year olds are smarter than a lot of adults so it might be ok.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Dropping it to 16 is silly imo.

I think there is more reason to increase the voting age to 25, when the prefrontal cortex (where rational thought comes from) is fully developed.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Age of consent in DC is 16. The GOP will oppose any lowering of voting age anywhere because most young people loathe the party.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    I am a neuroscientist, and you're right in that myelination is not complete until the late 20's, but this does not mean young people have no frontal lobe function. Indeed, if you want to point a finger at irrationality in voting, based on the last US presidential election, I think the older age group is more suspect (and also vulnerable to dementia *cough*).

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Honestly if anything I’d make the voting age 21!

16 is too young. While there are some very competent 16 year olds (some perhaps more so than adults), many are not. Most lack a worldly knowledge or have a sense of place in society. Most 16 year olds don’t know much about politics, the happenings of the world, an understanding of economics or statistics, or have developed a sense of personal and social responsibility. Most teenagers still have very egocentric tendencies, are still developing higher level executive decision making and who they are as a person.

Maybe this would have made sense hundreds of years ago when a 16 year old was basically an adult. In that sense in the 18th century 18 year olds were adults with some life experience. But today 16, in many cases even 18 is still essentially childhood.

I remember in high school we did a mock election... at one of the top schools in the country. The winner... I don’t even remember the guys name. Some third party candidate because he supported legalization of marijuana. I’m not contesting that belief, I’m just pointing out that marijuana was found to be the major the determining factor- not the economy, healthcare, foreign policy, etc. Not surprising in a highly affluent town where money is nothing, healthcare is taken for granted, and the biggest problem is getting into a good college and where to get weed when things dry up.

Regardless of the socioeconomic class and culture of population, the overwhelming majority of 16 year olds don’t know what it means to be an adult or make decisions like one. And I don’t think most teenagers even take civics class until 17 or 18.

The justification of the article:
    - Kids work jobs/help support families: This has been true for the entire course of human history
    - Kids pay taxes: Barely, but everyone pays taxes. If a 7 year old buys a toy and pays sales tax should that give him the right to vote? Kids also give their parents tax deductions.

I consider myself a pretty middle of the road person politically. I really don’t like saying this but I don’t see any reason to grant 16 year olds voting rights other than to expand the left’s base quite frankly, as young people primarily vote left.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I’d argue that there is considerably more evidence that older voters are the ones with cognitive problems. (Voters over 65 went for Trump, but 18-24 year olds voted overwhelmingly for Hillary.)

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Yea, it just means it is not fully developed.

People under 25 process thought more from the amygdala, which explains the emotional, impulsive, and irrational decision making. As they get older, and the prefrontal cortex becomes more developed, they start having more rational thought.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Let them change it to 16. As has famously been said...If voting actually made a difference it would be illegal.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I can see both sides.

On one hand, 16-yo people will have to live longer with the consequences of the elections than an 80-yo and as such their voice should count.

On the other hand, I’d think there would be in many cases a maturity problem, and irresponsible choices (although Trump and Brexit are counter examples proving that older people are as likely to be influenced and vote irresponsibly).

Make it a pilot program.

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Adult voters can have maturity issues, too. One look at PRSI will confirm that.

12. Gutwrench, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So the DNC are looking for votes?

I can see why the Democrats would.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I’d say if we let a twelve year old become president, we may as well let teens vote. Not really, I don’t see the need to change the age, young people are heading for the left anyways, GOP haven’t made it into the White House with the popular vote in 30 years.

14. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

ALT < LEFT at its best, anything for votes

15. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Interesting. I would bet that most 16 year-olds who would bother to vote are probably more up to date on current events than many older voters. There is an argument to be made that anyone who is old enough to work ought to be able to vote, but that could mean 13 and 14 year olds depending on where you live.

As far as Washington, DC goes: It won't change the fact that DC is deep blue, but it could have an impact on local issues.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I probably would've loved that when I was 16, but realistically, no, it shouldn't be lowered and it shouldn't be raised. 18 is fine.

The problem with our elections is not the voting age.

17. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I mean... In DC is hard to argue that this is about typing the scales of elections. DC is already the most Democratic "state."

Not saying I necessarily agree. But I do think there are good-faith arguments to be made.

And the thing about under-25s... It's not like it's a light switch. Many of my law school classmates started, and some finished, law school at that age. Trust me... There was some serious rational thought going on. No observable difference in the classroom between them and the rest of us in that regard. I think the observations about older voters having just as many issues are spot on.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Understood, yet I’d still trust the older vote over a 16 yo. I give deference to life experience.

19. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I'm feeling wildly unimpressed by the results of life experience at the moment.

20. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Cool, you're making a joke about how you think Hillary was the only sensible option, and if someone didn't believe that then they must have cognitive problems. Oh, DC humor.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Yours or do you have something else in mind?

22. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Lol, both?
    Must. Go. To. Bed. Chaperoning a class of first graders tomorrow.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Agreed. Some will probably chime in the electoral college is the problem. But I don’t think that’s the issue either.

First, I don’t know how the candidates get the political power to become candidates aka why people support them. Sure, no one is perfect, but you really have to wonder why we pick some of the people we do to lead. This last presidential election is a prime example.

Second, maybe it’s just me but the country has not only become hyperpolarized, with the radical ends of each spectrum gaining more attention (whether or not that actually reflects the population is another matter), it has become so tribal that neither side can bear to recognize anything as being bipartisan.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly I am not sure you can equate frontal lobe function with rationality and amygdala with irrationality, and also remember that adults have been shown time and time again to demonstrate manifestly irrational and suboptimal behaviours. At any rate, my guess is that the less mature and less responsible 16-year-olds would simply not register to vote, just like the immature irresponsible adults.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2018 ---
    DC votes overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party already, so the left would simply be adding to an insurmountable majority. Even if this goes through, the people of the city do not have any voting representation in Congress, so it shouldn't matter to the GOP or the right. Indeed, I'm surprised that the righties here have their feathers ruffled - for isn't the GOP mantra 'states rights'? DC is not a state, but it would be a local decision.