Washington governor wants DEA to reclassify marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Nov 30, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I really hope this happens. It's of special interest to me because i have a HUGE medical marijuana dispensary opening right around the corner from my house, and i would really hate to see the owner and employees prosecuted under federal marijuana laws. The state of new jersey willingly took a major risk when it legalized it, but they felt it was the right thing to do. In addition to that, this particular one next to my house is non-profit. The law states that the first 6 dispensaries to open in NJ must be non profit, after that the for profit ones can start opening. If the drug is reclassified, there will be no more fears of federal prosecution. This is pretty disgraceful if you ask me, all those prescription drugs with horrible side effects and potential for addiction are perfectly legal, but pot isn't? There's something wrong here.

Link

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have no problems with decriminalizing it. As long as there is a way for police officers to do road side tests for intoxication and treat it like DUI's, I'm fine with it.

3. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Gregoire is a liar and an abject failure, but I agree with her on this (WA resident)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This needs to happen. Pot is not that harmful, and hemp is extremely beneficial in so many industrial applications.

5. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Marijuana is not as harmless as people make it out to be. There are actual physical withdraws that most moderate to heavy users experience when stopping use. Which means the body goes into a state of distress when use is discontinued. Although the withdrawal is not be nearly as severe as say heroin, or alcohol, it is still withdrawal. There can also be permanent irreversible damage to the body from long term use.

The fact that marijuana has been discovered to possibly have some medicinal benefit could be a reason to legalize it for medical use. However it doesn't take much to get a medical marijuana card just so you can go smoke pot with a license.

In the states that it is legal for medical use there are still laws that determine where you can use it, and how much you can have on you in public. It is also against the law to drive when your high, just like being drunk medical permit or not.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

To put it nicely, that's complete BS. I go through periods where i smoke often and then stop for long periods of time with no issue whatsoever. I've never heard of a pot withdrawal that's not totally mental. If someone can't stop smoking weed at their own will they have to be completely weak minded.

7. lbro, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Source? Just out of curiosity.
    Also, can't you get withdrawal symptoms equal to or worse than marijuana withdrawal symptoms from pretty much anything taken in excess? E.g. alcohol, sugar, caffeine.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Maybe if there were tighter standards on who gets medical cards for weed. Seems like just about anything from a tooth ache to toenail fungus will get you a card in some states. The federal government isn't likely to let potheads use the medical community as a means to obtain their weed, not with standards like those I've seen.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And then there's this line of BS :

http://potnews.tk/?p=332

Originally Posted by eljanitor
    Marijuana is not as harmless as people make it out to be. There are actual physical withdraws that most moderate to heavy users experience when stopping use. Which means the body goes into a state of distress when use is discontinued.

That IS BS. I speak from a personal standpoint.

I stopped using medical pot a few months ago and experienced no withdrawal at all.

I had a card.

Please stop perpetuating a myth.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Shouldn't be schedule II, but it's a good step in the right direction, allowing states some control of the usage of prescriptions(although doctors shouldn't have to deal with the annoying side effects of the harsh regulation of S2 drugs, the inability to have refills, the inability to call the prescriptions in, etc)

It being a controlled substance wouldn't even both me, although it likely shouldn't be, but S2 is far to high up. Schedule four or five is a much more reasonable position for it to be at.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In fairness, a person can become addicted to anything. At that point it's all mental, regardless of what it is. How someone reacts mentally to the withdrawal is going to be different from person to person.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Alcohol should be illegal. It actually kills people.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Because that worked so well in the past!

Outlawing drugs doesn't result into reduced usage, look at countries like Portugal, decriminalized all drugs ten years ago and dealt with addiction as a health issue, not a legal one. Their addiction rates have gone down across the board.

Regardless of where one stands on the role of drugs and the government, the best route is decriminalization and treating addiction. It's a win-win, reduces cost, helps more people and allows those who want to use drugs, to use drugs.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Headache, nausea, anxiety (common) paranoia and even irritability or aggression. Those are some of the symptoms of Cannabis withdrawal. Some cigarette smokers can quit cold turkey with ease, some struggle with withdrawal symptoms. Because everyone doesn't experience it makes unimaginable? If you don't develop cirrhosis of the liver from drinking heavily, does that make cirrhosis a BS disease?

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

While I agree with you(there isn't a physical withdraw), withdraw of weed tends to be all in one's head(although that doesn't mean it won't result in physical symptoms, your one experience isn't conclusive proof, as people react differently to different drugs. (Some people can experience withdraw from opiates after a much short period of use, but that doesn't mean the withdraw effects can't be there)

16. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

In case you were wondering the DSM IV is the medical book that medical professionals use in diagnosing disorders. Here are some references for you:

http://www.sis.indiana.edu/DSM-IV-Criteria.aspx

http://www.psychtreatment.com/mental_health_substance_withdrawal_delirium.htm

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Marijuana-Withdrawal.html
    :D

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

First off. Have you ever used cannabis for a long time ?

I have.

I experienced none of the symptoms you just listed. And I know a LOT of other people that regularily consume cannabis. None of them have ever experienced that either.

And btw.

You're not paranoid when they really are out to get you ;)

People that smoke pot feel paranoid only because they are afraid of being thrown in prison.

18. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

One of the first things that most drug abusers and addicts have is denial.

According to Miriam Websters definition of denial is:

"de·ni·al
    noun \di-ˈnī(-ə)l, dē-\
    Definition of DENIAL
    : refusal to satisfy a request or desire
    a (1) : refusal to admit the truth or reality (as of a statement or charge) (2) : assertion that an allegation is false b : refusal to acknowledge a person or a thing : disavowal
    : the opposing by the defendant of an allegation of the opposite party in a lawsuit
    : self-denial
    : negation in logic
    : a psychological defense mechanism in which confrontation with a personal problem or with reality is avoided by denying the existence of the problem or reality
    — in denial
    : refusing to admit the truth or reality of something unpleasant <a patient in denial about his health problem>"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/denial

19. Peace, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

By definition I could say you are a drug addict. ;)

And I'd like to add this :

Etanercept injection may decrease your ability to fight infection from bacteria, viruses, and fungi and increase the risk that you will get a serious or life-threatening infection including sepsis (infection that affects the entire body) Tell your doctor if you often get any type of infection or if you have or think you may have any type of infection now. This includes minor infections (such as open cuts or sores), infections that come and go (such as cold sores) and chronic infections that do not go away. Also tell your doctor if you have diabetes or any condition that affects your immune system Tif you live or have ever lived in areas such as the Ohio and Mississippi river valleys where severe fungal infections are more common. Ask your doctor if you do not know if these infections are common in your area. Also tell your doctor if you are taking medications that slow the activity of the immune system such as abatacept (Orencia), anakinra (Kineret), azathioprine (Imuran) cancer chemotherapy medications, cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), oral corticosteroids, 6-mercaptopurine (Purinethol), methotrexate (Rheumatrex), sirolimus (Rapamune), sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), and tacrolimus (Prograf). If you experience any of the following symptoms during or shortly after your treatment with etanercept, call your doctor immediately: weakness; sweating; difficulty breathing; sore throat; cough; fever; extreme tiredness; flu-like symptoms; warm, red, or painful skin; or other signs of infection.

Using etanercept injection increases the risk that you will develop tuberculosis (TB; a serious lung infection), especially if you are already infected with tuberculosis but do not have any symptoms of the disease. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had TB, if you have lived in a country where TB is common, or if you have been around someone who has TB. Your doctor will perform a skin test to see if you have an inactive TB infection. If necessary, your doctor will give you medication to treat this infection before you start using etanercept. Your doctor will monitor you for signs of TB during your treatment even if you did not have an inactive infection before you began to use etanercept.

Some children and teenagers who received etanercept injection and similar medications developed severe or life-threatening cancers including lymphoma (cancer that begins in the cells that fight infection). However, most of these children and teenagers had autoimmune disorders (conditions in which the immune system attacks a healthy part of the body) that may have also increased the risk that they would develop cancer. If your child develops any of these symptoms during his treatment, call his doctor immediately: unexplained weight loss; swollen glands in the neck, underarms, or groin; or easy bruising or bleeding.Talk to your child's doctor about the risks of giving etanercept injection to your child.

Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with etanercept injection and each time you refill your prescription. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. You can also visit the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085729.htm) or the manufacturer's website to obtain the Medication Guide.

Talk to your doctor about the risks of using etanercept injection.

This is for a medicine that doctors prescribe.

Etanercept (trade name Enbrel) is a drug that treats autoimmune diseases by interfering with the tumor necrosis factor (TNF, a part of the immune system) by acting as a TNF inhibitor. Pfizer describes in a SEC filing that the drug is used to treat rheumatoid, juvenile rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis, plaque psoriasis and ankylosing spondylitis. Sales reached record $3.3 billion in 2010.

Compare that to cannabis usage :

From January 1997 to June 2005, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported zero deaths caused by the primary use of marijuana. Through that time period, 279 deaths were reported where marijuana was a possible "concomitant" drug used in conjunction with other drugs at the time of death. In contrast, common FDA-approved drugs which are often prescribed in lieu of marijuana (such as anti-emetics and anti-psychotics), were the primary cause of 10,008 deaths

Think about it.

20. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

This is so long overdue- and I've never even touched the stuff.

You'd think that Marijuana was once legal and able to be prescribed.. like it was in the United States Pharmacopeia! :rolleyes:

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Sorry, but some stories from people who you have meet along with your own experiences, don't provide enough evidence to make a claim for or against mental withdraw resulting in physical symptoms.

While your personal experience gives us examples of possible effects, but we look large scale studies which are retestable to support a claim regarding the over all effects of the drug.

I think it's clear the side effects are worth the risk in medical cases, and as for recreational usage, it has risks just like drinking, but people do that anyway because the effects are enjoy, and honestly THC isn't nearly as risk as drinking.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Emend is one of the meds they use when a patient is dealing with severe nausea and inability to eat. The cost per dose is astronomical. Something like $1500, and not all insurance covers it.

Wanna know a lot of people say works almost as well, if not better?

Not to mention the reduction in pain, anxiety, and relief from several other side effects of chemo and radiation.

Regardless of the disagreements about casual use, from a medical standpoint, it has some benefit, and could be regulated sufficiently to allow its legalization.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sure, you can experience those symptoms after coming down. However they're extremely mild, you'd probably be more irritated and aggressive if you didn't have your morning cup of coffee. While the physical effects are on par with sugar or caffeine, weed is not side-effect free. The only time I've experienced "cannabis withdrawal" is after a 3 day hash binge in Amsterdam, the flight back was awful.

IMO the most dangerous thing about smoking pot is the smoke you're breathing in, which is why there are vaporizers.

EDIT: btw paranoia is the MOST COMMON side-effect of smoking weed and it just comes with territory. Hell I've even smoked buds called "paranoia".