Washington Supreme Court Says Obesity Is a Disability

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 17, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not about the employer's perception, obesity is measurable.

4. Altis macrumors 68030

I'm trying to think of other disabilities that are both preventable and 'curable' through basic habits. Addiction, maybe?

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Addiction isn’t curable

6. raqball macrumors 68000

So even though I am 6" 1" and only weight 170, if I don't get hired for a job can I 'identify' as obese and get protection under this new law?

Cuz ya know - identifying as whatever gives you protections right?

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

strictly speaking, you're right, but in most cases it's certainly treatable and manageable. Not saying it is easy.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

It was the closest thing I could think of.

Obesity is almost exclusively avoidable and curable by basic life choices in all but extremely rare cases. As such, certain likelihoods can be concluded by its presence.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is another thing that can clearly be solved by a war with Iran.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    let's do it

11. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Why would anyone obese in Washington state now continue/ want to work when they can now sit at home and claim disability benefits into eternity?

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Meal Team Six... L O L...

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Lawyers are happy about this. They get to exploit business owners

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

In my book, obese is something I thought was always refereed to as being extremely overweight/fat. Like those people in the "My 600lb life" show. They are obviously a hindrance to themselves and others.

15. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

It is FAR easier to get to an obese state than the 600 pound people in those shows. Most of us are at least clinically overweight. The medical definition of obesity is usually measured by 30 BMI or more. Like twenty percent of the workforce for WA just qualified for disability. Yikes. You can literally eat yourself to disability payments.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I always failed the BMI assessment in the military, but I was all muscle not fat. If I start working out hardcore again, maybe I can collect disability checks. :p

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

“Most” might be a bit optimistic depending on the type of substance abuse and treatment modality... at least long term management. I suppose it also depends on your definition of “management”. For example, “long term” (aka 1+ year) opioid use disorder success rates are pretty... very dismal, especially without medication assisted treatment (Suboxone, methadone) which many patients and sadly some providers are resistant to.

I would say in some cases obesity is a disability if the person is so obese they cannot work or perform ADLs. Otherwise I don’t think anyone should be discriminated in hiring unless it directly interferes with their ability to successfully carry out their job even with reasonable accommodation.

18. Zenithal macrumors G3

BMI isn't indicative of obesity. Lean tissue mass relative to adipose tissue is.

19. throAU, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Its a diet problem caused by the FDA's diet recommendations.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2019 ---
    Look into the low carb/keto diet. I've been low carb since January. it works. exercise not required. so much of the food pushed (by western diet recommendations) is carbohydrate heavy which promotes high blood sugar, insulin resistance, and obesity/type 2 diabetes.

I've lost 18-20kg since January. (107.x -> 87.y kg). I'm 183cm tall so i'm not obese but i was getting pretty fat. I am not exercising much if at all other thank walking around shops and to/from work carpark.
    Obese is a lot less than that. Most western adults are or are borderline obese. 25% overweight and you're classed as obese pretty much. And you can tell if you've crept up on that weight, you feel lethargic, heavy, etc. unfit...

600lb is grossly obese.

20. kapolani macrumors 6502

We are on that downward spiral.

We don't have to have any responsibilities anymore. If you're fat. It's not your fault.

Here, here, have some free s_h!t to make you feel better.

21. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

This could happen. It would be the medical definition...

22. LordVic macrumors 603

Went from physically fit/active to fairly portly and fat. Not like those 600 lb behemeths (I'm still < 200lbs), but it only took abou 3 years of sitting on my ass :p it comes fast

However, labelling something a "disability" doesn't means suddenly they get to "sit home collecting disability" or any other right. Having something labeled a disability like this means it's just protected from workplace and discrimination. You can't fire someone for being obese. You can't refuse to hire someone for being obese (unless bonofide job requirement).

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

#endthread. The reasons behind being obese are still opaque - sometimes life-choices, sometimes genetics and other things. Still, it is, and should be, considered a disability - because it is.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

This. THIS. T-H-I-S.
    I just posted my success here.
    Mostly a mix of low-carb and lots of exercise (esp. because here in TX we can literally do everything without walking, including going to the bank, pharmacy, grocery store, restaurants as they all have drive-thru's). Weightlifting is what really accelerated the process.