WashPost: Trump Is A Mean Bully

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, May 29, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c9d5c0-417a-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html

After reading that, he reminds me of Congressman Furlong off the show Veep!
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    “President Trump has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him,” Hope Hicks, a White House spokeswoman, said in a statement. “He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000. He has built great relationships throughout his life and treats everyone with respect. He is brilliant with a great sense of humor . . . and an amazing ability to make people feel special and aspire to be more than even they thought possible.”

The above from the article sounds like something Kim Jong-Un would have said about him!

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anyone who has actually worked under him complaining or just anonymous accounts and someone who runs an anti-Trump super PAC weighing in?

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the WaPo article, French President Macron:

I'd add that I don't believe in Governing by public abuse either.

And that is Trump's modus operandi: Public abuse. Via his Twitter account. Via his press conferences. Via his every public appearance. Abuse. Abuse of the press. Of the Judiciary. Of Democrats. Of foreigners. Of comedians. Of women. Of Muslims. Of the Constitution. Of the precedents and practices of the Presidency. Abuse of former Miss World Contestants. Of Gold Star Mothers. Of large US companies. Of large German companies. Of Celebrity Apprentice hosts. Of his own staff.

Who hasn't Trump abused?

If you happen to be one of those poorly-educated white people who voted for Donald Trump, hoping that he was going to bring coal-mining jobs back to Appalachia, or re-open the steel mills and auto plants of the upper midwest, then I've got news for you: Donald Trump is in the process of abusing you too. Far more than you can possibly imagine.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Everyone who is surprised that Trump is a bully, raise your hand.

Anyone.

...Anyone...........?

Nor would I be surprised to learn that as a child (can you say that about someone who's still a child?), Trump was the kind of kid who'd say mean, hurtful things to the most defenseless classmate he could find, laugh hysterically about it and then say to the kid, "What's the matter? Can't you take a joke?"

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Hope Hicks, meet The Manchurian Candidate:

Of course, hypnosis has been disproven. Stockholm Syndrome then? Masochism?

7. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Not his best lyrics, but Woody Guthrie did write a song about Trump's father. It's real:

Old Man Trump
    Words by Woody Guthrie, Music by Ryan Harvey

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
    He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
    When he drawed that color line
    Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain't my home!
    No, I just can't pay this rent!
    My money's down the drain,
    And my soul is badly bent!
    Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
    Where no black folks come to roam,
    No, no, Old Man Trump!
    Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

I'm calling out my welcome to you and your man both
    Welcoming you here to Beach Haven
    To love in any way you please and to have some kind of a decent place
    To have your kids raised up in.

Beach Haven ain't my home!
    No, I just can't pay this rent!
    My money's down the drain,
    And my soul is badly bent!
    Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
    Where no black folks come to roam,
    No, no, Old Man Trump!
    Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

Cover:

http://woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/Old_Man_Trump.htm

8. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Hmmm...like war heroes, Gold Star parents, crooked Hillary, lying Ted, Pocahontas, little Marco, disabled reporters, Rosie O'Donnell, the news media, etc. ?

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I know someone he has to respect now: the Frenchman who just crushed his puny hand in handshakes.

10. Scepticalscribe, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I daresay you saw his attempt at vindictive retribution later than same afternoon, when Mr Macron snubbed him by approaching him, and then proceeding to swerve abruptly (and doubtless deliberately) to greet Dr Merkel and Mr Stoltenberg first. When Mr Macron did reach Mr Trump, hand extended, there was a serious attempt at a vicious shoulder yank by Mr Trump, accompanied by a sneer and that jutting chin.

There is another fascinating thread on the issue of handshakes as humiliation "Tug Au Revoir".

Oh, good grief, yes, A really nasty piece of work.

But, it is not just that Mr Trump is a vicious, vindictive, petty little bully, it is that his regime resembles a medieval or Thord World court style of governance rather than a modern administration in either a dictatorship or democracy.

In a court, power and influence is determined by one's proximity to The Leader, and by demonstrations of favour from the Leader. You are in favour, or, out of favour, and a truly sadistic Leader will make the status of "being in favour" (which is the source of your power, status, standing and influence) as unpredictable as possible, to keep you unsteady and make you long for the reassurance of his approval which is the only currency that counts in such an environment.

Thus, the erratic form the bestowal of signs of favour (and criticism) take in such an environment are themselves an expression of pure power. Staff are no longer staff but courtiers, their future - and their standing, and thus, power - dependent on the whims, grace and favour of the Leader.

Thus, in such a world, it becomes all about Pandering To The Leader's Moods, Anticipating His Needs, and - for yourself, Swallowing Your Pride, Abasing Yourself, Laughing At His Stupid Jokes, and leaping nimbly out of the way in time (if this is even possible) before he insults you, or kicks you just to remind you of how powerless you really are.

Thus, insults are also a currency, in such an environment, as are unpredictable signs of favour.

That article rings very true, alas.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I love that Hope got a quote written for her by Spicey

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I do have to say that Donald Trump is, without a doubt, the most thoroughly uncharming human being I think I've ever come across. (see this delightful Atlantic article on the decline of charm in the 'merican male.) I am quite certain there are countless residents of penitentiaries, insane asylums, opium crack dens, and monasteries with infinitely more charm than Donald J. Trump

I believe charm to be a vastly under-rated, and under-appreciated characteristic in a President. FDR was charming. So too, but in a different way was Truman. Kennedy and Regan both charmed the press. Bill Clinton had his own brand of charm, which he (sadly) sometimes put to bad use. Nixon had little charm, and Johnson only slightly more. Carter was a little too earnest. Ike may have had his charming moments, but a lifetime in uniform and two decades of awesome responsibilities dimmed their lights.

Of recent Presidents, Barack Obama had to have been gifted with a natural charm that seems almost surreal compared to the *****-grabbing Tweeter we must now endure. I defy anyone to watch him dance with Ellen Degeneres or get some coffee with Jerry Seinfeld, and not recognise what a fundamentally charming man Obama is.

I loathe Donald Trump. He is, at best, a pustulent four-year disease that this great country of ours must endure.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I blame the teachers.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That is beyond a mere alternative fact. That is utterly delusional.

Ability to communicate? Where? He talks like a kid.

Treats everyone with respect?
    You've got to be kidding. He mocks the disabled, sends nasty tweets out, condones and encourages violence and literally shoved a world leader out of his way.

Magnetic personality? Sure if it's a magnet set to repeal people. :D

Positive energy? That's a laugh. He's one of the most negative people around.

Make people feel special? Yeah, I'm sure that disabled guy he made fun of felt so special. :rolleyes: