Watch order fraud: someone changed my Ships To address & Bills To email

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bashmagic, May 1, 2015.

1. bashmagic, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

bashmagic macrumors regular

Ordered a SG 42mm BSB early on the 10th, I've been (like many of us) checking my order page almost every day since. Woke up this morning to find that the billing address for my order and the billing email address had been changed in the middle of the night.

My shipping address was changed to an out of state location (at least that's what shows up on Google Maps when I look up the address).

My "Bills To" email was changed from "first.last@-----.com" to "short_first1.last@gmail.com" (e.g., think "Michael" shortened to "Mike").

I have no idea what happened, this 1000% was not me; it's entirely possible my Apple ID / password has been compromised, though I have not seen any other suspicious activity on my Apple ID at all.

So it boils down to either a hacked Apple ID or (god help them if this is the case) a employee skimming orders.

Either way, I'm on a chat right now to get this fixed, and I am of course changing my Apple ID password. The Apple rep was very helpful and corrected my shipping/billing info.

Everyone with outstanding orders: check your information, and maybe change your Apple ID password just to be on the safe side.

2. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

It looks like someone got ahold of your Apple ID email and password. If the address in FL had some gibberish letters in it, it's probably a freight forwarding company sending your watch to some scammer in Eastern Europe.

3. bashmagic thread starter macrumors regular

It's actually a legitimate house - no gibberish letters, looked it up on Street View. So nuts.

4. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I would also look into changing your email password and maybe the reset questions that they use for password reset.

I don't know what they could do but call Florida and see about making a police report. Maybe your aren't the first.

5. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Did you save the address? Send them an apple with a cheap toy watch around it.

6. bashmagic thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've called Apple, changed my password, etc. Good point on changing the reset questions too, didn't think about that.

lol, kind of want to do this now.

7. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

NO! Do not contact them! Call the police. This was an attempt to defraud (they'll likely have to get the FBI involved, as it was an out of state person that did this).
    Chances are whomever did this has likely done it to others, so you really should make the authorities aware so they can go after them!!

8. bashmagic thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, in all seriousness I totally agree. I am going to call the police.

9. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

agreed... then send him an apple with a casio calculator watch wrapped around it in prison

10. bashmagic thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, sadly, I don't think I'll get any such satisfaction. Called the police in FL, turns out the address is a vacant home, been vacant a year. Not a surprise at all, honestly. Figured it would be a long shot. Oh well!

At least my shipping / billing info is correct on my order now.