Watch OS 4 Beta 1 - Music app doesn’t connect to iPhone library

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by derek_knitter, Jun 6, 2017.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

This really drives me mad. I think Apple just assumes if you are going to listen to music, then you will not need your phone with you. Just your watch, like when you are jogging etc. So they figure you can download a few songs to your watch while you workout. (But I carry my phone with me regardless of what I am doing.)

I also think that maybe this feature is done on purpose, if the rumor of the next watch having cell service built in is true. I can see them saying, with your new watch, and latest ios, you won't need your phone at all on you. A do everything from your watch ad campaign will launch at that point.

2. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I noticed this change too. I think the idea is that if you start playback on your iPhone, you obviously have it with you and can change whatever’s playing from it. Otherwise, you get basic controls like skipping forward/backward and adjusting volume. I wasn’t confused by the way things used to be but I think this makes a little more sense for a person completely new to watchOS.

3. emax81 macrumors newbie

New beta 6 ...same problem !!!

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It.. looks at least to me like it's back in b9?

Or at least, something is.. when I load up music I seem to see my full iphone library, but I can't switch sources. curious.

5. Danyeltinajero macrumors newbie

Danyeltinajero

Same problem. Really i need this function.

6. Walia_Ak macrumors newbie

umm can you upload a video and/or image...

sorry you just cant downgrade from beta so i dont want to test it out for myself

7. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I hadn't thought about this too much, but I can't switch sources and only see the songs which the watch has seen fit to sync over...

8. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

9. Walia_Ak macrumors newbie

for people like me (my music library is 8.86 gb) i will never be able to have the same expereince with the change as the watch inly has 5gb

10. alecc131 macrumors regular

Apple replied to my bug report about this
    Confirming that this feature was explicitly removed in watchOS 4

Disappointing

11. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I still think it is buggy. If you are on the "Now Playing" in the dock and click on the song at the top, it takes you to "Music" and shows you nothing. That can't be how it is supposed to work. They will have a lot of complaints about it. One of the main things I use my watch for is to control my iPhone that is docked and plays music (via a Sangean Radio) at work.

My Watch is not running beta. My phone is. This could be my problem, but it looks like others have the same issue when running watch beta.

12. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I have 2 playlists. One is a list I created (only 3 songs). The other is an Apple list (like Apple top pop songs or something). The list I created synched fine. The Apple one, only about 20 out of the 50 songs are synched up. Should not be a space issue sine only 50 + 3 songs. Previously we could see synch status, # of songs etc. Now it's tough. the orange bar at the top is complete but getting a spinning wheel under "heavy rotation" (which I turned off). Not sure what's going on with this new version.

13. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

The issue I mentioned above is no longer an issue. The "now playing" section no longer transports you to music when you click on the artist/album info.

14. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Really upset how Apple crippled some features in Music. I like having better controls of my itunes library but should allow me to browse library. But the whole synching of "heavy rotation" and other playlists is extremely buggy.

15. Ritte macrumors regular

This sucks, I want to be able to browse Apple Music from my watch. It was a great feature.

16. zero hectic macrumors member