Watch your AT&T bills for "LoveGenieTips" scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StevenT42, Apr 28, 2012.

1. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I just noticed a $9.99 charge on my AT&T iPhone bill for "LoveGenieTips" which is an AT&T service. It listed a toll-free number to call, and I called to cancel. I was put through to AT&T customer service, where I told them there was a bogus charge on my account. The rep immediately said it was the LoveGenieTips charge, and canceled the service and refunded the amount.

Now here's the rub. This service is delivered by text message, and you are automatically signed up unless you reply back "STOP". I looked in my message history, and noticed that I had this sequence back in September of last year:

"Lovegenietips Flirting Tips; 3msg/week for $9.99/m T&Cs: lovegenietips.com Msg&data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. STOP to cancel. PIN xxxx."
    After a couple of messages, I replied "STOP" and got a text back saying that I was unsubscribed.

I asked the agent how this could have happened, and she said it was just a matter of receiving text messages. I said that was pretty deceptive. She said that she could put a block on that type of message on my account, and I said to do that. I don't ever want an unsolicited text message to sign me up for a service through no action of my own!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I had a couple of these (not the same name) on my lines a couple months back. We didn't notice for about two months, but ATT refunded it (credited the account for the following month). I have seen a handful of similar threads. Apparently this thing is getting more and more common.

3. StevenT42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked at my account history and it has been going on since last November. They won't refund anything older than 60 days. That will teach me not to look at the bill every month I receive it! Although I should know better...last year, my account got "upgraded" from the 450 minutes plan to the 2000 minutes international plan. That I noticed because the bill was significantly higher than normal!

4. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I had a similar occurance with my account and AT&T. I noticed it after a month and they refunded mine as well. I stopped at our local corporate store to see about the charge and they suggested a block. They will block these subscription type charges for free and will provide you with a PIN number to use should you actually want one of these types of services. It gives me peace of mind on my account now, since I have 4 iPhones on it!

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would try filing a better business bureau complaint, but make it known that you are planning to do so. IMO it's not right for you to have to pay a dime for such a service that you didn't legitimately sign up for.

6. StevenT42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got my latest bill, and LoveGenieTips was still showing up on it. I called AT&T, and they confirmed that the service was cancelled, but since it was after the service had already been billed for the month, the charge showed up and the past two months were refunded (as a separate line item).

I said that the service had been on the phone for months, and the rep looked into it and refunded me an even $45 to set it straight.

So persistence pays off.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Me too!

My wife got the same text message totally unsolicited. Immediately we replied STOP to have it canceled and still got the $9.99 charge on our next AT&T bill.

Took almost 1 hour on the phone with an AT&T rep to get it resolved.

If its not already, this should be illegal. To sign someone up for something "out of the blue" and tag it on to an existing cell phone bill where some people may not notice is CRIMINAL!

8. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I had something similar happen to me on Verizon from IQ Power and ChalkBoard IQ. I have no idea where they came from since I definitely didn't sign up for it. Called VZW and had the charge credited back to me. They can also put a premium message block on your account to stop it from happening in the future. Didn't even take ten minutes to get it fixed.

9. iSR5 macrumors member

I've that too,

they do that so if someone reported a refund will be applied.
    and if not, (maybe someone who doesn't know about that charge or doesn't watch his bill) will be charged !!!! and that's the most ridiculous thing that I've ever seen!

In fact, that's how companies manipulate their customers for $$.

I hope people will be aware of that manipulation and watching their bills.

:mad::mad::mad: I hate to be manipulated !!

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I did the same thing, anytime i get a random message that says "reply STOP to cancel" i do it immideately.

the AT&T rep told me "i have to be careful and not respond to them" :confused: This was after i told him the only thing i responded with was the STOP

Luckily this was the first time it had showed up on my bill so he got it removed before i paid and had to get a refund, they just adjusted the bill

I happened to notice it when i RANDOMLY checked my phone bill. I usually never do, i just make sure that i get the same amount pulled out of my account every month.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

The easiest way to stop this slamming is to call AT&T and tell them to not allow slamming.

There done.

That's what I did after I found some bogus $19.99 charge also a coupe years ago. My wife had tried to sign up for some promo online for a "free iPhone". She is not as savvy as me. And these things fool people.

When some place asks for ur cell or home number. Always have a fake number to give them. Especially many of these online promos.

Cause what they do is trick u. They will send u a text notification to ur actual cell u gave them. And if u click accept. U have now been "slammed"

Old trick except they are using newer tech.

Again. When a person or website asks for ur cell phone. Never give it out. Simple as that.

12. guilderlandny, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

guilderlandny macrumors newbie

Just received two spam texts yesterday Within seconds of each other One for "Mind Quiz" and the other for "LiveProBasketballScores". Each for $9.99 /Mo.

Both reported to ATT Spam system (7726)
    Both reported to FTC via their web site

The ATT response from 7726 was "it's likely that your message came from a short code. Please return to the original message and reply STOP"

13. iSR5 macrumors member

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Just call AT&T and tell them to block premium text messaging services from your account. That will prevent it from happening in the future.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Best way to prevent this is to get a GoogleVoice #. Give that out to businesses or other people you don't 100% trust w/ your info. Reserve your actual cell phone# for friends/fam/work people who need alt contact #. It's not bullet proof because any scammer can set up a program to text random #s, but it does make their work harder. Usually these scam cos buy #s from another cos. list.

16. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

just a heads-up to that ATT will not refund after 60 days billing ..... so check your bill constantly, otherwise you will be stuck with charges that you can't dispute....

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I had a similar thing. Replying STOP will stop the subscription, but they will still charge you for the first month.

I got a credit back from AT&T. They also put a block on subscription charges or something like that which apparently worked as I got another text the next month, but no charge.

What I don't understand is why AT&T allows these scam companies to continue to abuse their billing system? Given AT&T's willingness to screw their customers I wouldn't be surprised if it was because they get a cut of the profits.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

The carriers love these scams since they get a percentage of the amount to cover the cost of collecting the money. It's a shame that they do not block these charges by default and require something like written authorization before they allow the charges. Carriers are just plain greedy.

19. e1im macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP. I just checked and I too have been billed 6 months for a service that's on my wifes line. Just never paid attention. It's now cancelled and we have purchase blocker on.

20. luked14 macrumors 6502

This happened to multiple lines on my family plan a couple months back and AT&T credited the charges, over $100 dollars worth, and put a block on these premium texts. However, this month the same premium texts started coming in again, so the so-called "block" isn't entirely effective.

21. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Is this only going on on AT&T?

I'm guessing they maybe get a cut of the $ so that's why they allow it. I think I got something similar on a GoPhone I had a while back. They said they could block those kinds of texts but I use that to get my schedule for work.

22. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

I was jUst gonna mention google voice. Only the first 3 digits are different, so it is easy to remember. Doesn't cost a dime. I have my text messaging turned off from att. Waste of money.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You got lucky. My GV number is completely differ.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You shouldn't have to call. If this is really going on, I think a class action lawsuit is in order.

25. bainbridgematt macrumors newbie

I've received similar scams on my Verizon iPhone. Don't think it was LoveGenieTips, but the premise was exactly the same.