Watching a horror movie with work friends tomorrow: Need really scary one!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Dec 29, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh, in that case....paranormal activity 2

that or peewee hermins big adventure

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 1974. If that doesn't scare them, nothing will.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Heres a few of my favorites:

Event Horizon
    Pet Semetary (yes its spelled that way)
    Candyman
    In The Mouth of Madness
    High Tension
    The Descent
    Borderlands
    Poltergeist (I LOVE the thing in the hallway! So creepy looking!)
    Grave Dancers (creepy when you see what the damn ghosts look like! They're great!)

If you want to gross them out let them watch Human Centipede.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The Blair Witch Project scared the crap out of me more than any movie ever has.

I remember getting onto the subway to go home and just wanting to hug random strangers because I was so happy to be in a city full of people and not in that freaking scary ass forest.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Omg you could never live where I used to live haha. I was in the middle of a creepy ass forest in the middle of the mountains with cemeteries all around me. In fact I used to have to go to them late at night by myself to do my Halloween photography project when I went to Penn State haha.

7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Audition was probably the most frightening movie experience I ever had.

Also, you could watch the first half without realizing it's a horror movie; one day I'm going to show it to someone and just tell them it's a drama.

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

This movie was very much underrated. I loved it!

The original Exorcist is pretty creepy, but TBH I haven't found a movie that scared the crap outta me yet.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Omg Audition is just plain nasty! The whole "bag" thing and the "dekedekdekdek" (ya you know that part and now your eye hurts!) Not to mention that nasty razor wire thing she had!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I wish I could be scared by movies, I really do. But, even as a kid I was immune to nightmares and the like.

With that said, I prefer to watch movies like "Hostel," "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "The Hitcher" and "Vacancy." Only because they are much more believable (and in some cases, true) than monsters and ghosts.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

the recent ones i have watched are Drag me to hell and the grudge.

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've never heard of it, and looked it up. Holy crap, I think I'm gonna have nightmares after just reading the synopsis. Sounds pretty sick!

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is it the one about the widower and from 1999? quite a few films by that name

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Yes, this is the correct one.

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh honey, you're looking in the wrong direction...

[​IMG]

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dabnabit, it has subtitles and poor font at that! i actually have to watch and not surf web at same time lol

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It sometimes depends on the individual for what may scare them. I've seen gross horror films (Saw, Hellraiser, etc) and while I cringe, it doesn't haunt me all that much. I think that's the real measure - if it bothers a person for a while after watching it.
    Some people really got freaked out by The Exorcist but I don't believe in demons, hell, the devil, etc so I actually thought it was slightly amusing in parts, if still disturbing because of the self-harm crucifix scene. I think that was the worst part about the whole movie. And that is coming from someone who had a light fixture anomaly right after watching it. (seriously, still can't explain that.)

Someone who is claustrophobic [and possibly scared of unearthly things] is likely to be pretty uncomfortable with something like The Descent.

And then there are some films that inexplicably get to you. In spite of all logic, I thought The Ring was pretty damn scary. It wasn't gory, startling or anything; they barely even used bad language. It was pure psychological eerieness by means of everyday sights. (TVs, phones, circles, water, little girls with long brown hair, etc)

19. Malsi macrumors regular

It's not really a scary movie, but fear to be put in a room with the movie "Alexander" (Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie) playing in it.

On a serious note, I loved Jeepers Creepers.

20. Badradio macrumors 6502

Another vote for The Descent. The problem with films such as Audition, Hostel, Saw and so on is that if people aren't bothered by the gore, they're not scary at all. The Descent has a lot of tricks to creep out a wider variety of people: lots of gore, lots of hair-raising jump-out-of-your-skin moments, genuine tension, and a level of claustrophobia that gets to people who otherwise don't suffer from it. Plus if you're outside of the UK, it wasn't widely seen, so there's more chance people will be watching for the first time.

21. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

This was one of the best horror/gore movies I watched, save for the plot twist which was simply undesirable.

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Honestly, I find that if you're going to surf the web at the same time, you won't get the same effect anyway. :p

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have a friend to this day who cannot watch that movie. She was so terrified of it. She also can't handle the movie "The Mist" because of the ending.

Omg I LOVED the twist! I didn't see it coming!

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Very true lol
    The descent is good! the sequel not as much but still good

Another movie I like is "Frozen". I could totally see the plot happening and going through the "what would I do?" scenario

I did watch "The Human Centipede" last night and that was quite gross...and it lacked gore!...just the concept disgusted me

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I, also, was bothered by The Descent long after I finished watching the movie.

I think it was the movie that made me realize I'm pretty damn claustrophobic.