Watching videos in iTunes Freezes my MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LumbermanSVO, Mar 24, 2008.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

When watching ANY video in iTunes my MBP will eventually freeze. It might freeze immediately or it may take 5-10 minutes, but it WILL freeze. I have done LOTS of searching on here and Google to to and find a remedy to no avail. I would run down to the Apple store and have them fix it but I am a truck driver and getting the time to have anyone look at it is very hard to do. I stay on the road for 30+ days at a time so if I send it to Apple to have it fixed I may have to go without a computer for 30+ days, this is not why I bought this machine.

The computer is a 17" SR 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro with 2 GB Ram and OS X 10.4.11. I have done all the updates for the OS and software I can find and noting helps. I have also repaired permissions, reset the SMC and run the hardware test(no problems found) from the DVD. I found, downloaded and ran a couple memory test apps and none found any problems. As a last resort I even did an erase and install of the entire OS and i still have this problem.

When it freezes the whole computer locks up, the only way to get it back it to hold the power button and reboot. There is no trace of any problems in the log files either.

Right now to watch a video I have to use either Quicktime or VLC to watch video.

Is there anything I may have overlooked while troubleshooting this?

2. ATH44 macrumors newbie

I have a similar (the same) problem with my MBP.
    I had started a thread about it a week ago. Mine only locks up when the cursor is moved, and needs a restart to use the computer.