Watchmen (HBO) Discussion Thread

||\||

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2019
Ha, ha. So, Lindelof named the protagonist such that he could make a ****** pun at the end? Oh, gawd. Sooo bad. :rolleyes:

We will always have EP 6 to look back on...but after watching episode 8 last night...I am pretty checked out for the season finale. He can come up with an interesting idea now and again, but Lindelof famously never seems to stick the landing.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ha, ha. So, Lindelof named the protagonist such that he could make a ****** pun at the end? Oh, gawd. Sooo bad. :rolleyes:
No, that's just a funny coincidence, do a little research on Abar and you'll get it :D

Spectacular series for me (especially as a huge fan of the original source material), the ending will be interesting, very optimistic given the previous 8 episodes, even if it leaves cards on the table.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

We will always have EP 6 to look back on...but after watching episode 8 last night...I am pretty checked out for the season finale. He can come up with an interesting idea now and again, but Lindelof famously never seems to stick the landing.
Episode 8 is one of the best single episodes of television I have ever seen.

||\||

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2019
Episode 8 is one of the best single episodes of television I have ever seen.
o_O

Never in a million years would I have guessed the show would nail the giant squid and fail at Dr Manhattan. That bald cap. Oof. They have stripped out everything weird or interesting about Doc. He is seemingly a different character in this show. Episode 8 felt very much like I was watching a television show. And now I here there is no resolution to the identity of Lube Man? Come on!

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, landing stuck, mostly, maybe a little bobble. :D

Pretty fantastic finish (all things considered ...), plots resolved, a few things left [wide] open, some things we suspected confirmed, and even though it went more comic-book-y, in the end, it was about masking pain, love, family - just absolutely well done.

EP9 B+, Series A-

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
o_O

Never in a million years would I have guessed the show would nail the giant squid and fail at Dr Manhattan. That bald cap. Oof. They have stripped out everything weird or interesting about Doc. He is seemingly a different character in this show. Episode 8 felt very much like I was watching a television show. And now I here there is no resolution to the identity of Lube Man? Come on!
They improved literally every character in the comic. It was excellent.

Reactions: Jayderek

||\||

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2019
The series finale was clunky and a bit generic in how the it ultimately resolves. The squid thing was very contrived, with questionable physics involved. Fascist police force “wins” and we are to cheer them. The 7K is probably back up and running inside of five years, becoming a global phenomenon once worldwide internet access is a thing.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
They improved literally every character in the comic. It was excellent.

@ritmomundo from the TV thread actually came back to it, his comment cross-quoted below :cool:

So, I circled back to Watchmen this past weekend and binged the remaining 5 episodes and then the finale last night. It has been getting some great reviews the past few weeks, and with it being a one-and-done season/series, I thought I'd give it another chance.

And I'm glad I did. My earlier comparison to the fustercluck season 2 of Legion was premature. The rest of the episodes fell into place in sort of a satisfying way, and the finale was pretty fantastic.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

techno-Zen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I'm sure this has been asked.. If I have no exposure to the comics or previous movies but love comics in general can I watch and enjoy this show?

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm sure this has been asked.. If I have no exposure to the comics or previous movies but love comics in general can I watch and enjoy this show?
I don't think it's been asked quite like that! Specifically, that you're a fan of comics, though you haven't read the Watchmen.

I'd say that's a big yes. :) They do a good job of filling in the backstory, as a comic fan I'd figure you're hip to comic tropes (this series really taps into the comic archetypes).

There's also a supplemental resource, written in show context, each file equates to an episode:

(It's a ton of fun, don't read ahead).
- - Post merged: - -

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Loved the series, the finale a bit less because everyone who deserved it (7K, Trieu, even Veidt) got their comeuppance. It seems the writers left a few questions (who slid into the drain? will Angela walk on water?) to be answered in a second season. But I'd be happier without one, I think.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wait, you haven't read Watchmen but are a fan of comics! Read it!!! It is one of the books, to me that takes several readings and views to let it all soak in. Fantastic piece of comic book writing...

Sadly I have not seen the show, as I don't have HBO, but I just might break down and get it so I can watch the show. I soooooo want to see this.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Don't hold your breath waiting for more...

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4491269002
PASADENA, Calif. – "Watchmen" won a loyal following and critical acclaim, as the superhero comics series was adapted into a politically relevant drama about race and the criminal justice system.

But don't look for a second season of the drama, which wrapped up its nine-episode run last month, largely because creator Damon Lindelof isn't interested in doing it.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I wonder why he started it, change of plans or not enough viewership?

He said on the official podcast, he loved the characters/concepts that Moore created, he had an idea for a specific story, something to explore in the Watchmen universe, and that was enough for a single season.

If they do another season, it may be like Fargo, a sort of self-contained story, in the greater conceptual universe of The Watchmen. Heck, if it's one-and-done, I'll be OK with that, it was brilliant.

Have you actually watched it yet?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He said on the official podcast, he loved the characters/concepts that Moore created, he had an idea for a specific story, something to explore in the Watchmen universe, and that was enough for a single season.

If they do another season, it may be like Fargo, a sort of self-contained story, in the greater conceptual universe of The Watchmen. Heck, if it's one-and-done, I'll be OK with that, it was brilliant.

Have you actually watched it yet?
I have not. The graphic novel had the most depth of any comic I have ever read, but the movie was so so, and I’m unlikely to subscribe to HBO just for that. Maybe in combination with watching something like West World S3.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I have not. The graphic novel had the most depth of any comic I have ever read, but the movie was so so, and I’m unlikely to subscribe to HBO just for that. Maybe in combination with watching something like West World S3.
Unfortunately also, since it's HBO, it's also very expensive to buy the series on iTunes. On iTunes it's going for $35, for 9 episodes & extras. Which is pretty tough to take. I'm hoping it comes out on physical disc, that I can get on sale later.

Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's pretty fantastic, and as I've mentioned, I'm a long time fan of the comic, Moore, etc.

I think they're right though with HBO for just that - one great thing about HBO series is that they're always available, everything they've ever produced (stuff from a decade ago). So wait for WW Season 3 to finish, get a month of HBONow, binge both for $15 :D

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's pretty fantastic, and as I've mentioned, I'm a long time fan of the comic, Moore, etc.

I think they're right though with HBO for just that - one great thing about HBO series is that they're always available, everything they've ever produced (stuff from a decade ago). So wait for WW Season 3 to finish, get a month of HBONow, binge both for $15 :D
That sounds like a plan.